cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kraft-t
Senior Advisor

Re: Reporter writing about labor shortages

No, no fault. But if your asking me to assume all unemployed people are lazy assed bums that won't work, I would have to disagree with you.

That seems to be the theory that passes for fact on these pages. That people are unemployed and are just to lazy to seek work. Sme maybe but not many of the millions unemployed and tromping around in many case just failing to get an interview.

And why oh why can't an employer be honest enough to dash the hopes of an individual when they know **bleep** well they won't hire them. In stead they brush them off and tell them we will be making a decision in the next couple of weeks and then they don't even have the courtesy to inform them when they have made a decision!

I think an employer has a responsibility to inform the nonselected as soon as possible.

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

And why can't the employee be honest enough to tell the prospective employer they are only showing up for the interview because they are required-- to maintain government benefits.  Or be honest and inform the interviewer of the number of times they have filed workman's comp claims on employers within a month of starting a new job.  And if you don't think that is a problem, just tell them in the phone call you pay top wages but do not offer workman's comp, and see if they show up for the interview.

Talk to the managers of every business you go too or live near and ask them about the labor issues ----------- Then of course.

Tell them it's all their fault.   

Then they will know you don't have employees.

Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

I agree that many people who truly do want to work are sitting idle, thanks to a dashed economy. It can happen to anyone, and it isn't easy to solve.

As for saying " No" in a timely fashion...I am very good about not holding out hope to anyone, when there is none. Many times, if you just let a person talk, they will do so just one bit of information too long for their own good...tell you the piece of the truth about themselves that no employer wants to know.

I wish the employment scene would improve, too. The few working people who are still actually paying taxes are getting weary under the load, don't you think? Better if the burden is more widely shared.
0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Well said.
0 Kudos
buckfarmer
Senior Contributor

Wander how much of this Adam will us in his article.
0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

I sort of wondered which " farm labor shortage" he was really asking about. In one respect, it may have been a reference to the lack of workers to garvest hand-picked crops like berries and produce.

From what we gather around here, tightened Homeland Security measures that have prevented illegal aliens from getting driver's license renewals - as only one example - are apparently driving quite a few of them out of the labor market.

The rotten US economy has not been a real draw for anyone to come or stay here either. If this was the labor shortage he was referring to, my perception is that it is very real.

I know that foreigners are trained and brought in legally to run hog farms in some circles. This extends at least as high as the farm manager level. Those are decent jobs for this region, but I guess the climb through priduction positions that would lead a local hire to rise to them is beneath some folks. I just don't know.

For you Midwest row crop milionaires, there ought to be a legion of young guys who want to farm, but lack any realistic chance of buying into your high-stakes game. True?
0 Kudos
ECIN
Senior Advisor

Millionaires ???  You must be talking to the small farmers  lol   But to answer your question it would be False - Kay --  Back when I was a young guy - then that would have been True , Reason is that all farm kids do get worked in the operation around here - Back years ago the farms were a lot smaller - today , around here , a lot of 2,500 acre farms and getting bigger

Then for the most part  , they went on to college and have came back to there family farm - not all but most have . 

0 Kudos
dennymal
Veteran Contributor

I think the labor shortage he's referring to are the more labor intensive crops like produce. Here in the midwest we have solved our labor problems with bigger equipment. For the hog finisher buildings I own it is all hispanic labor. Goodluck trying to find someone else to work in one.

Here in NC Iowa there are alot of kids that want to farm but getting access to land and capital for equipment is hard if not impossible. Plus all they want to do is grain farm. $7.00 and $8.00 dollar corn didn't help any. When you can get twice the states income avg farming a quarter if your getting a good deal on rent-why do something else.

0 Kudos
kraft-t
Senior Advisor

Re: Cash help

That's a good point!

0 Kudos
kraft-t
Senior Advisor

I never approached a neightbors hired hand or a neighbors landlord. However, when the neighbors hired hand or his landlord approached me, I might hire him or rent the ground.

Everyone has the right to improve their lot in life. I didn't have ill feelings when my neighbor hired my employee. In fact I helped him move to his new residence. I know and my employees knew that any agreement we had was a temporary arrangement. I never expected any employee of mine was signing on to a life long committment. Only a fool would expect nothing better to come along.

We are all climbing the ladder of success and we just as well be grownups about it. I'm not marrying my hired hand and neither is he. He has better visions for the future as we all do. Or atleast we did some 30 years ago.

0 Kudos