cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Re: Risk for large cash renters in 2014

Coal is different Jim, that product is the money shot, with useless land (to the coal company) around it. With farmland, its something that's needed each year to get the money shot. I actually think that a group of monied investors buying farmland (especially if its 10 cents on the dollar) would be quite appealing in large tracts. Think of a bunch of "RSWs" with money and that line of thinking.

35 years ago you wouldve been though crazy to suggest that "Case would buy International" but they did Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

If that scenario in your last paragraph happens, Kay, we will not see any farm policy written into law ever again.  Just not enough votes without a bipartisan effort to do so.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

You do realize the number of " hog barns" that purchase put under Chinese ownership, don't you, Jim?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

When, not if....
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

If one wants to be  10,000 of  -acres  -  hogs  -  beef - with each comes intensive responsibilities  - be ready to accept the burden of each ---   

Highlighted
Advisor

Well, Kay, if that "when" happens, the populace might brace itself for a lifetime of food insecurity. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Truly my concern Smokey. I think we have been largely lulled into complacency, while many American homes are already being defined as " food insecure".

My parents and in-laws were alive and old enough to know the real fear of failure to survive during the Great Depression. My only sister-in-law was born just three years after the nation turned the corner on it, so we are barely one generation removed from a time when our fellow citizens starved in droves.

No one ever dreamed that home ownership would fall down a rabbit hole, until 2008. Anything can happen.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

Just like Japan bought all the commercial real estate in the 70's?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

I'll not cast the first stone but some days I feel like we're already close.

Has anybody seen the movie "At Any Price?'

I mean to pick it up, interesting how an outsider portrays a semi-BTO operation. I thought Jane Smiley got some things pretty spot on with "A Thousand Acres."

The movie is supposed to look at the moral ambiguities that a family trying to stay in the big dogs' game experiences.

Think I'll see if I can run it down and watch this weekend, Will get back to you on it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

You know, this is the fourth reference in reading and/ or discusdions that I have stumbled into in the last couple of weeks, to the similarities between now and that era. We were very much at risk then, and are today as well.

Just because a past fiasco was averted does not mean all of the possible ones in the future are magically rendered impossible....
0 Kudos