cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

Re: Rural Youth Injury Rates

I understand.  No problem.  It just helps sometimes, that's all. 

In case you do ever want to post a link, just right click on it with your mouse button.  Then on the pulldown menu that appears, and hit "Copy" or "Copy shortcut." 

Go to your reply screen, right click inside the text box where you write your answer, and hit "Paste." 

I will try to find something on this subject.  Thanks. I recall your posts about it, but not in detail.   

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Around here, people are buying acerages (5-10 acres) putting in a vegetable/sweet corn plot, and calling it a 'farm'.

Fine for them, but when they pay 3X going rate (because of location to a bigger town) and call their ground a 'farm' it raises the property taxes of the actual farmers in the county.  Fortunately, it isn't happening right here, but it isn't too far away. 
It seems they like to be within close driving distance to a bigger town/city, and sell 'organic' veggies in the farmer's markets in those towns.  More often than not, they are people who are fairly well off, who have taken an early retirement, and kind of consider this a hobby that makes them a few bucks, and most I know of are 'people persons' who like to meet new people, and this gives them an easy way to do it.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Those are what I deem "hobby" farms.  You are right about the social element of the sales process.  Selling a little something allows these folks to write off their avocation. 

I have no problem with it, but if they aren't certified organic, they are making false claims if they use that term in their sales.  I doubt that many have done the recordkeeping required, or paid for the certification process to be performed. 

We saw some problems in the Raleigh area with property taxation and some agritourism operations.  I think they were losing their use-based valuation/deferral, and the difference can be significant. 

Ag land in NC is capped at $1200 per acre for property tax purposes.  Rollbacks for four or five years when the use changes in nature, with taxes on the difference between that value and probably 5-10 times that much, are horrendous.

Kind of takes the wind out of a lot of sails....

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

You know, Jim, it would seem fairer to subtract injury rates from all other causes - maybe using non-rural kids as a baseline figure of all childhood injuries - and let the difference be atttributed to farming activities.

I would also like to see comparisons between rural kids and non-rural ones for illnesses. Studies in Germany showed that the East German kids, who had less sophisticated sanitary circumstances than their West German counterparts, prior to the Wall coming down, were surprisingly healthier. This and other examples have resulted in the Hygiene Hypothesis, or as my husband calls it "Barefoot in the Barnyard".

Immune systems that take on challenges like contact with livestock and playing in the dirt tend to be tougher and to handle more diverse threats. Factor that in, and I think you would perhaps find that rural children's health is better than that of their city cousins, all things considered. 

0 Kudos