cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Veteran Advisor

SNAP - From Cash To Food

The budget proposal suggests reducing SNAP cash payments by about a third and replacing it with actual food.  

Critics say that would make the recipients feel bad as they had to go get a box of food from some distribution point.  Critics also say the government do this as cheap as the person using cash to buy from Walmart or whereever.

Do you have any view on this?

I guess I'm not so awfully worried about the feelings of those who are getting help.  Plenty of people lined up at soup kitchens in the Depression.  If people prefer to get their food other ways, that's OK, too.

I'm not sure I see it having any effect on what I grow.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Honored Advisor

Re: SNAP - From Cash To Food

A dose of humility improves the taste of everything.

My wife works at a food bank with distribution point at a church.  It is a wonderful point of acceptance and giving that benefits all who participate.

If we are going to be benevolent to those with needs, we should occasionally look them in the eyes.  And maybe convey that we care.  And convey we are trying on both sides.

Usually the critics are the ones who also oppose upward mobility.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

God forbid we be practical for fear someone gets their feathers ruffled.   I guess I was always taught beggars can`t be choosey.  Beer & cigs shouldn`t be part of the Snap.

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

I find with interest -The folks that establish the rulings on these issues and comment's at the beltway and other - have  NEVER  set foot inside of a mission in metro & or rural areas ---

Being a sobering experience  &  while statement's of callous ambiguities are tossed about from our ''conservative spenders'' back east - take on the task of serving to the less fortunate is a humiliating - yet uplifting exercise --- 

The words exempt  or  free of obligation being the low road  - while the well to do affluent characteristics of lavish lifestyle ventures on taxpayer funded debit accounts seem to be the flavor of the decade---

Wasn't aware  NOT  flying  ''1st class ''  being a most humbling interaction ,  although could be pacified by the actions of those '' high on the hog '' folks of food stamp abusive habit's ---

Apathetic  and  exuberant  - seem to - may have several interesting , mindsets - while even Fox Newz recanted a story Dec.30 / 2016 correcting ( lowering) the amount of fraud being at 1.3% --- 

Interesting  Topic - Jim            

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

logic is not going to happen as long as we can print cash at will and avoid responsibility...... we just do it wrong and then criticize the organizations that have done it pretty well for decades and possibly centuries.  

As long as the federal budget grows to meet our wants logical choices will loose and greed and political power will be more important than making tough choices.

The number of folks who live in urban areas and profess this to be a great country is huge, yet live a few minutes from communities they won't drive through because they could be caught dead there.    

And don't see anything wrong with the popularity of "battle" and "kill" computer games and cell phone games.  Or new prize fight club format that has been added to that brutal boxing match.  Or the "octagon of doom" for tv entertainment.

Yet we will jail a man for promoting a chicken fight for animal cruelty.

Way more than 17 died in that aclaimed hollywood movie I walked out of ....... and it was well attended.

A little poverty might have been a better choice in 2008.  

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

I see some political discussion that the Food Basket approach is not serious but actually a side-ways attack at the Farm Bill, as the people who mention it know full well the food basket idea will never fly.  Nothing is straightforward.

Senior Advisor

Maybe the food box could have jars of pickled corn & soybeans - oh and some cottonseed salad for our delta producers ---

Another idea would be to float the premise of USDA  40% + or - premium entitlement on their home owner, auto, renters insurance policy - would get them on board---

One thing beltway has perfected being the  ( shift )  technique business model for monetary fiscal response --- This latest happy meal gimmickry,  with Jim's last line being priceless ---

Another example being federal 20%  -80 %state & (private) inter action with  the $1.5 BILLION  INfaStruction - PLAN  ? 

1 - Ask  Indiana  how their toll road deal worked out ?

2- Kansas  80% $$$  comes from ? ?  ---    Toll roads present in the Sunflower State for several decades  ( start 1954) , with travel from Kansas City Ks - Topeka - modest, busy volumes, Topeka - Andover Ks, light volumes - Wichita Ks to  South Haven Ks. (Oklahoma border) brisk volumes during day ---

According to K T A  website, current Bonds will mature  Sept 1,  2039 ---                    

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

we could provide bagels coffee as public assistance at the AR15 lynching photo op. rallies for press and politicians who will come like flies.

But we have to bake and brew in private homes and hand out through volunteer psycotheropists because if we slip up and have a monitary fund or a cash box for sales, some politician will charge his Super Bowl tickets against the funds.

Smiley Happy

These political parties will see to it we keep getting representation that think it's ok.

0 Kudos