cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Re: STAY ALERT OR STAY OFF THE ROAD

Thanks much to the AARP, anything that even remotely smacks of curtailing a right, perceived right, or privilege, of anyone defined as an elder, is the third rail that no politician wants to touch.
One of the funniest stories on pur family's history is related by my youmgest sister, an account of riding in the backseat, while an elderly distant cousin applied her lipstick in the rearview mirror while driving on unfamiliar and torturously crooked backroads. Funny because they all lived to tell the tale....
0 Kudos
Jim Meade / Iowa City
Senior Advisor

Bob,

Yes, I've been a charter pilot and have flown King Air 90s and 100s, Twin Cessna and Citation 1 and 2 jets.   I'm rated in ASEL, ASES, AMEL and glider.  I'm a CFII and MEI and CFIG.  I have something over 3,000 hours, about 1/3 in jets.

Lately, I let my medical lapse and am flying under Sport Pilot privileges.  I sold my T210M and bought a Flight Design CTSW.  It does 120 knots and gets me around pretty well. I flew it from Iowa City to Tamps, FL in one day and back the second day after.

Yes, sleep apnea is a big deal with the FAA.  I have not had it.

My brother-in-law owns a Tri-Pacer south of Des Moines and has decided to sell it and go the Sport Pilot route, as well.

It sounds like you are in good shape and are lucky.  Good for you. 

0 Kudos
SEmiretired
Senior Reader

My flying has been 50 years of recreational flying. Bought my first  PA-22 when I had 13 hrs, total time. Have stayed current most of my life and accumulated about 1,000 hours. Some of the fun hours were getting to my fly friends PT17, AT6, and Navions. Bought another Pa-22 about 5 years ago, fly every week, the wife and I do a lot of breakfast and evening flights.  Luckly the airport is 1/2 mile from the edge of the farm and the hanger has become my second work shop . GA is dead here, no rentals, no instructors, no young people flying. We have had 2 pilots go light sport because of medical issues. We have lived thru some of the best years of private aviation Jim. My son is also a pilot and he is starting to fly more and some day it will be his. Rented the farm land 5 years ago so have a lot of spare time to enjoy my hobbies.  Bob Ohio

0 Kudos
Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

Funny you mention lipstick.  I swear, that stuff should be outlawed from cars, and any women caught applying lipstick while driving, should have to have names in the paper, along with the number for the tow truck.

NOTHING my wife does while driving, scares me as much as that stupid lipstick.  Heaven forbid, we drive for 5 minutes, and her lipstick isn't freshened up.  Doesn't matter if she drops it on the floor, and it rolls under the seat, she thinks she's gotta have it on, just right. 

Telling her that she doesn't have to bother, the undertaker will do her makeup for her when she drives off a bridge digging for that cursed thing and kills us all, doesn't seem to deter her.  It just puts her in a worse mood.

I kow I risk starting a tangent with this, but why is it that the women who need makeup the least, seem to be the ones most determined to wear it?

Also, why do women spend an eternity in the bathroom, applying their makeup in such a way, so that it doesn't look like they are wearing any?  Why not just not wear any, and gain an hour every day?

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Well, I would be the wrng woman to ask...I rarely wear makeup, even though I am sure I " need" it to hidemsun damage and such. Even when I do manage to tolerate a light dusting of Bare Mineral color, i still cannot stand the feel of lipstick on my lips.

Maybe your wife could be worse,,,I saw a tow truck driver on TV once, talking about pulling a woman's car out of a ditch...she had been painting her toenails.
0 Kudos
smokeyjay
Advisor

This may be an exception, Jim, but my eyesight has never been better.  Had cataract surgery a year ago and 98% of my astigmatism is gone and I have 20-25 vision.  The doctor could have used a lense that would have given 20-20 distance vision, but since the astigmatism is still slightly there, I can use contacts or glasses to clear it up.  As a kid, I never knew what birds were until they fitted me with a pair of coke-bottle glasses.

A sport like playing racquetball helps with eye-hand co-ordination and minimizes tunnel vision. Plus it gives plenty of opportunity to burn up calories and keep the vascular system working good.  I think the best thing older people can do for each other is to keep active, even encourage others to get into better shape.

0 Kudos
smokeyjay
Advisor

There's a reason why....men like the view when they see an attractive woman.  It's also a cultural thing.  You know who gets the nod when a job is up for grabs, and it's not the "plain Janes of the world."  How many executive assistants do you know that looks like your grandmother?  Not that I'm saying your grandmother isn't attractive, but you get my meaning.

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Good to hear astigmatism is helped by cataract surgery. I have had that smeary view of the world all my life...and the cataracts I am developing may eventually provide a rationale for correction. Although I enjoy my martial art ( probably more than I should!) I also have found that there are some neat games on game systems like Nintendo DS, that help sharpen my mind periodically. When I start to feel as though my faculties are slowing down a bit, I will tune them up on Brain Age for a few days. Once i get to the age of 20 mentally, I figure that is pretty good. They make a game called Flash Focus, too. It purports to give you visual training " in minutes a day". I do better with some of the activities on that one than on others...but not too shabby overall. Still can't hit a curveball, though!
0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Now, BOYS!
0 Kudos
Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

You know, I can't ever say I caught myself going 60 MPH, meeting another car going 60 MPH, and thinking, 'That woman shure would be prettier, if she had a fresh coat of lipstick on right now'. 

There is plenty of time to do that BEFORE you leave (well, OK, not for MY wife, because she waits to leave at the last possible moment, but in THEORY, there should be), and there is tome to apply the lipstick after you stop (OK, well, maybe not, because again, my wife has to get to where she is going, just in time to not be overly late). 

Heck, I think I just lost that argument with myself.  It seems the only time my wife CAN put her lipstick on, is while driving 60 MPH LOL.  I just hope she keeps it in her lane when she does.

0 Kudos