cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

Re: STAY ALERT OR STAY OFF THE ROAD

On the other hand, I also keep telling her, if she showed more cleavage, I wouldn't care if she had on any make up at all!

Think of the time we could save, getting all gussied up?

0 Kudos
smokeyjay
Advisor

I call it like I "see" it.  🙂

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

For fun, I will throw this one out there, and then leave it:  How do you guys "see" it the first time you notice that a guy sees your daughter in that manner. 

Shock to your system, Daddy?

0 Kudos
smokeyjay
Advisor

No shock.  I did not "see" them that way at the time.  I grew up in a family of mostly girls.  So, any misbehaving was knicked in the bud pretty early.

I no longer have to worry about that one.  Daughter is married to a great guy who appreciates her mind and talents as much as her beauty.  She could handle herself very well when among "boys".

As for you guys who still have worries, I have an "Application to date my daughter" on file.  Very inclusive and inquisitive..... i.e.. In 50 words or less, complete this sentence..... "when I see your daughter, the first thing I notice about her is.....(if any words begins with "T" or "A", discontinue and leave at once!)"

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

So, classic case of "do as I say, not as I do," right?

0 Kudos
smokeyjay
Advisor

Come again?  Okay, I get it, since I said "I call it as I "see" it.  🙂 It was in jest, though. 

However, my general statement about how guys "see" things is still the general tendancy of most guys, would you not agree?  Men are wired to pick up on certain stimuli (no pun intended).  But I would also say that women (many? Most? Some?), thanks to how our culture values certain things, work to take advantage of that fact.  Sex sells...... 

The irony of that is when things don't turn out good, somehow, men are blamed for it, even though it takes two to mess things up.

0 Kudos
smokeyjay
Advisor

The astigmatism is corrected with a new style of lense that replaces the one taken out.  It doesn't remove it completely but for me has been a dramatic improvement.

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

It always bugs me when a female trades on her physicality instead of her intellect. instead of women's lib rectifying that, I think it has largely served to objectify males as well. We meant well, but were mistaken, in the way it has all turned out. I am just joshing on this subject, too. I tend to remind men that their daughters may very well end up with a guy who acts just like they do...so they need to be sure their girls are looking for the right things in a man. Examples are the most valuable learning tools know to the human race.
0 Kudos
Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

I think the biggest problem women have, in trying to understand men, is that they overcomplicate things.

Women are complicated, so they seem to think men are complicated.
90% of what my wife does, seems to have some sort of complicated alterior motive attatched, and I think because of that, she expects me to have complicated alterior motives, as well.

Take it from me, ladies, men are SIMPLE.  We are easy to figure out, if only you would belive we are simple.

You want proof, look at the popular Women's magazines.  There are articles complicating the most simple of tasks, usually delving into every possible psycho-anylitical possiblity that can crop up.

Men's magazines have scantily clothed women, sports results, and the TV listing.

Women look at a room, and have to coordinate the curtains with the window trim, match the flooring with the wallpaper, and read books about color balance, and Feng Sui.  They know the difference between baby blue, sky blue, and robin's egg blue.

Men just want to reach the paper roll from the throne without having to stretch too far.  They often can't even tell you the color of their own living room without looking.

Tell me where I am wrong.

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Yes and no...are you fifty yet?  Maybe it is just my man, but Mike started having some opinions on decor at about that age.  From talking with other mature women, this is not unusual. 

This is when a man's chromosomes start to fray off a bit at the telomeres, and the Y one ceases to overrule all else.  This is when a guy will start to light candles for ambience if he never has before, except in the pitch black in a power outage.  He may actually stop and think, when asked if his wife's outfit looks okay, or if the color of these curtains actually goes well in a room.

That said, this house has not but one curtained window, since I think that the vast majority of them are useless dustcatchers.  When we decided to live here, Mike asked me to keep as much of the 100+ year old wood, and I have done, that, plus added a lot more, stained as near as possible to match or blend.  Men who visit LOVE this house....

We are redoing the kitchen this fall/winter.  Everything in it is designed to look as rustic as possible, within reason...the only thing we won't compromise in that pursuit is sanitation.  This isn't  so much Feng Shui, but Wabi-Sabi.  Look that one up, and you will see how comfortable you'd feel in that kind of an environment. 

I think the most basic difference between women and men is partly the pursuit of "perfection"...women as a rule strive for that unattainable goal, while most men are satisfied with "good enough."   I have always joked that as long as Mike has a cold beer, a lloaf of bread and something to watch on TV, he is happy...and that is not far from the total truth with him.  The good thing is, the older I get, the more satisfied I am with a glass of wine, a slice of bread, and a good book to read while he's watching his shows. 

Not many women would elect to live the way we have the past 16 years, given that they had a perfectly nice, modern, total-electric home they could be living in instead.  The deciding factor for me was that this was where my guy wanted to be, and living a bit roughly was the price of his happiness.  Small sacrifice to me....

0 Kudos