cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Santa laid off...

...what's next for bad economic news?

Colbert reported last night that Santa has been laid off...truthfully, a story about a town which has partially funded a retired WW II vet to play Santa at a local tourist attraction since 2001. Evidently, the budget won't support a jolly old elf on the payroll anymore, even as a temp.

A sign of the times, I suppose....
First Greece, then Italy...now, the recession hits the North Pole.

Seeing the news about the tricks MF Global was playing, so Jon Corzine could pocket so many treats, i find myself wondering how much Main Street will be expected to sacrifice to cover the sins of Wall Street next.

I received an excellent post from a friend on Facebook last night, directed towards thinking about gifts we could give that would support America and its small businesses, rather than buying another Chinese- made electronic gadget or Third World manufactured garment, and wrapping it in imported gift wrap.

Suggest that maybe if we all did this to the extent we can...give gifts made by local artisans, certificates for services that our neighboring businesses provide...we could really turn some segments of our local economies around.

Why not discuss this over supper tonight?

Your family will be spending a lot for the holidays...maybe your dollars could make a real difference, especially if you choose to spend them within fifty miles of home.
0 Kudos
11 Replies
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Original post:

I borrowed this from a friend's page.  I love it!

Christmas 2011 -- Birth of a New Tradition > > As the holidays approach, the giant Asian factories are kicking into high ... > gear to provide Americans with monstrous piles of cheaply produced goods -- > merchandise that has been produced at the expense of American labor. This ... > year will be different. This year Americans will give the gift of genuine > concern for other Americans. There is no longer an excuse that, at gift > giving time, nothing can be found that is produced by American hands. Yes > there is! > > It's time to think outside the box, people. Who says a gift needs to fit in > a shirt box, wrapped in Chinese produced wrapping paper? > Everyone -- yes EVERYONE gets their hair cut. How about gift certificates > from your local American hair salon or barber? > > Gym membership? It's appropriate for all ages who are thinking about some > health improvement. > > Who wouldn't appreciate getting their car detailed? Small, American owned > detail shops and car washes would love to sell you a gift certificate or a > book of gift certificates. > > Are you one of those extravagant givers who think nothing of plunking down > the Benjamin's on a Chinese made flat-screen? Perhaps that grateful gift > receiver would like his driveway sealed, or lawn mowed for the summer, or > driveway plowed all winter, or games at the local golf course. > > There are a bazillion owner-run restaurants -- all offering gift > certificates. And, if your intended isn't the fancy eatery sort, what about > a half dozen breakfasts at the local breakfast joint. Remember, folks this > isn't about big National chains -- this is about supporting your home town > Americans with their financial lives on the line to keep their doors open. > > How many people couldn't use an oil change for their car, truck or > motorcycle, done at a shop run by the American working guy? > > Thinking about a heartfelt gift for mom? would LOVE the services of a > local cleaning lady for a day. > > My computer could use a tune-up, and I KNOW I can find some young guy who is > struggling to get his repair business up and running. > > OK, you were looking for something more personal. Local crafts people spin > their own wool and knit them into scarves. They make jewelry, and pottery > and beautiful wooden boxes. > > Plan your holiday outings at local, owner operated restaurants and leave > your server a nice tip. And, how about going out to see a play or ballet at > your hometown theatre. > > Musicians need love too, so find a venue showcasing local bands. > > Honestly, people, do you REALLY need to buy another ten thousand Chinese > lights for the house? When you buy a five dollar string of light, about > fifty cents stays in the community. If you have those kinds of bucks to > burn, leave the mailman, trash guy or babysitter a nice BIG tip. Don't forget > your minister/pastor/priest or anyone else who gives to you in ways too many to list. > > You see, Christmas is no longer about draining American pockets so that > China can build another glittering city. Christmas is now about caring about > US, encouraging American small businesses to keep plugging away to follow > their dreams. And, when we care about other Americans, we care about our > communities, and the benefits come back to us in ways we couldn't imagine. > THIS is the new American Christmas tradition. > Forward this to everyone on your mailing list -- post it to discussion > groups -- throw up a post on Craigslist in the Rants and Raves section in > your city -- send it to the editor of your local paper and radio stations, > and TV news departments. This is a revolution of caring about each other, > and isn't that what Christmas is about?

0 Kudos
SpringBrookFarm
Veteran Contributor

Re: Original post:

*LIKE*

0 Kudos
Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

I try to buy USA made whenever I can.

For example, I do the maintanence/repairs for myself, my brother(s), and even a little side work for neighbors.

I had a DeWalt drill that I used the snot out of.  It had no excuse to keep working, but it did.  Said right on the side, Made In USA.  I bought that thing probably 20 years ago, and it still works, but the bearings are so loose, you can literally wiggle the end of a drill bit almost a half inch, which makes it not so good for precision drilling.  I keep it for driving screws & stuff.

I decided to replace it, bit the bullet, and bought a new Dewalt, top-o-the-line drill for a ghastly price.  After maybe 4-5 years of the same use as I put my 20 year old drill through, it quit completely.  Looking at the label, in tiny little, near microscopic writing, it says 'Made In Mexico".  Well, so much for paying extra, to support the American worker.

Went to Sears, and they are starting to have a few Craftsman tools show up 'made in China'.  They sent me a questionairre about my purchase, and in the comment section, I put 'Make Craftsman stuff in the USA again! (in al fairness, most still is)

However, at my last trip to Menards, they have a store-brand tool line (not sure on the brand, but it is only found in Menards around here) and probably 90% or more of it is USA made.  Quality is good for the price, as well.

If you shop around, you STILL can find made in USA stuff, and I look for it when I can.

If anyone knows where I can get a Made in USA cordless drill, let me know, as my 20+ year old one won't last forever.

0 Kudos
k-289
Senior Advisor

Kay---seems this article is a little bit late on buying imported  "cheap" items---about 15 to 20 years--- gota keep those corperate profits up as we watch the  container trains pul through the yards with all of that "stuff from the water ports---and then export our energy of coal and canadanian oil ---all right through here with this new pipeline going to Port Aurther Tex.---interesting stuff--- 

0 Kudos
idalivered
Advisor

Re: Santa laid off...

No problem, the guy whose birthday we are supposed to be celebrating works for free.Maybe we could shift the focus back to him. His PR dept. is literally "out of this world".

0 Kudos
jrsiajdranch
Veteran Advisor

No problem, the guy whose birthday we are supposed to be celebrating works for free.Maybe we could shift the focus back to him. His PR dept. is literally "out of this world".

0 Kudos
clayton58
Veteran Advisor

Are you sure about craftsman??  My son and I were looking at craftsman tools at sears recently and I could find nothing that said USA.  All we saw was from china,  I was pretty disgusted

0 Kudos
jrsiajdranch
Veteran Advisor

I noticed that this year it is taking a lot longer to get the toy shelves cleard out.  We have a neat store we call the mans mall around here. Usually they have the christmas stuff out the second week of OCT.  It is usually empty by now.  I think they have75% of their stuff still out.  Yesterday a factory in Clear Lake announced they were closing.  70 people are going to lose a good job.

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Try doing a Google search for what you want. I got a lot of hits on the phrase " Made in USA drill". One that looked promising is: www.americansworking.com/tools.html.

I think the point of the original post is also to utilize local services as gifts this Christmas. We have let the lion's share of manufacturing go offshore...but, for example,the family that makes peanut treats on the farm here makes beautiful gift baskets.

They even make small packages of peanuts dipped in white chocolate that they label with the bride and groom's names for wedding favors. I suggested that they do the same thing with punk and blue candy melt coatings, and add a baby's name and birthdate for
passing out, the way dads used to do with cigars. They can do special labeling for thank yo gifts for businesses to give to valued customers, etc. I know that as a teacher, I would have rather received a nice jar of Cajun roasted peanuts than another apple Christmas ornament.

If you look around, and ask around your family, you might be surprised at the services your wife and kids would enjoy. Happy drill hunting....
0 Kudos