cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Advisor

New Age

There are many who feel that our world - not just any nation of it - is set to enter a New Age.   "Zeitgeist" spelled this out in its explanation in the turning of ages, designated by the signs of the zodiac.  The Age of Aquarius is not far off on our horizon...I sort of wonder if it's not set to begin on December 21, 2012. 

I am by chance watching the movie "The Road" this afternoon.  Mike recommended it to me a while back, and it was on the guide, so I am putting myself through a most distressing couple of hours right now...watching a father and son navigate on foot through a post-apocalytic world. 

They just found someone's backyard bomb shelter, and are enjoying electricity and food for the first time in eons now.  It is an island of plenty in a sea of starvation and misery.  They have everything but a certain future. 

I've read enough of the post-oil, post-America literature now to have some appreciation for the mindset.  The flashbacks are what makes it all the more agonizing...when you see how it was, juxtaposed against how it will be.  Their sojourns in the father's childhhod home, and walk through a subdivision of ruined McMansions just make James Howard Kunstler seem prophetic. 

Whenever the world starts to look dark, this genre' of books, TV and cinema starts to pop up like mushrooms after a rain.  I never liked musicals or Disney movies all that much, but I am about ready to watch one right now!

Next afternoon's viewing, "The Wizard of Oz," right after I watch "The Secret of OZ."   I think the moral is that the solution lies in our own backyard...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

Re: demograpics

There was a very funny pair of subtitles in my favorite new comedy show, "Raising Hope," the other night.  Two Hispanic maids were making fun of the White- and African-American idiots they were cleaning house for...it was a priceless scene.   

One of the housekeepers quotes Newsweek as saying that in 2028, we will outnumber them.  The other one replies, "Tick tock, tick tock!"  I had always read 2025, so evidently the slow economy here has stemmed the tide of immigration slightly. 

When it comes to people actually working in production, it's that way for much of the workforce in American ag now. Service economy, ditto.  

I've read that Europe, also with a declining birtrate of natives, will be majority Muslim - the countries they import workers from are mostly Muslim - by around 2025.  So, kiss our traditional allies goodbye. 

The oddest philosophical coincidence in this is that Muslims are supposed to be religiously opposed to chanrging interest on loans...and it is ironically the interest on debt that is killing us,  and it's what will enslave our descendants.   At least our country is supposed to be taken over by people of a generally-classified Christian background, so maybe they will have mercy on us. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

Re: Second wave of down economy

A year or so, I recall reading that commercial space was the next shoe waiting to drop. 

On the rare occasion that I shop or travel anymore, I see more and more blank windows in retail sectors.  Has to translate to empty office space eventually....

I've seen way more business properties being lost to fire in the small cirlce where I travel, too.  How about you?

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Canuck and Kay tthis is a very interesting discussion and one I want to explore further, however our kids are spending the night at gramma's and grandpa's so it is just me and my sweetheart!  WHooHOO going to go to sleep early tonight!  Been along day and I am beat!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

I'm a mid-aged boomer.  There are 10,000 of us a day turning 65.  We built this house as a "forever" house on the farm.  I've only had 2 addresses in my life, not counting the military ones.   Ya I know that's unusual to some people, especially town people who look funny at me when I explain my lack of movement.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

Kay, not only are classes smaller but the teachers, at least in the lower grades have helpers in the room also.   And instead of the teachers being playground monitors they hire other people for that purpose.  Instead of 1 principal now they have 2 at each school.  6 years ago my school district built an 800K adminstration building for a district that graduates 115 kids a year.  They were in a building previously used as a school for 30 years.  But the got the idea they wanted everything in 1 place so now we are building a new elementary school and closing up 2 perfectly good schools.  Oh ya they're old.  Built in the late 50s.   They needed more space so they bought farmland for 6K an acre when it was selling for 2500 an acre.  Need I go on?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

JR---Kinda funny how the medical thing works and everyone "I paid for it--I deserve it " idealism goes---when only a small down payment was paid into the plan--most upside down program in government is Medicare-- with no plan in effect to stop the hemorrhage  from either fed. or state ? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: Second wave of down economy nwobcw

Im the same way, two addresses if you dont count fort benning and southeast Asia. That  doesnt happen much anymore. God I have lived a blessed life.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: Second wave of down economy kay/NC

Do you have any idea what the average teacher in Wisconsin makes, you seem very well informed I ve been wondering, figured you might know.Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: 2 addresses

Interesting comments about only 2 addresses.

I think that might be quite common with farmers but not so much with urban dwellers.

Then I look at our immediate family, brothers and sisters. All but one of them have only had 3 addresses other than school. Original home, rental when first married and then the home they are still in now. BTW they are all retired now and only one is over 65 and he retired around 56-8 years old with full pension.

Me as the oldest am still only semi retired but no 'pension' like they all have from employment work.

Many of those who still have mortgages at 65 have been trading houses regularly always looking for something better than they have and when I think about it many have traded spouses too which our sisters and brothers have not done. Same partner and same house.

Our children have only had 2 or 3 addresses. A couple have gone straight from home to their own house a couple others have gone through a rental first. 

0 Kudos