cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

Seed prices

Rumors of corn seed prices coming down.  Is there any verification of that?

The last few years there have been some lower prices available for a few.........if you beg enough.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Veteran Advisor

Re: Seed prices

I heard that rumor also, or read it on here somewhere. Asked seed dealer about it when booking '19 seed a couple weeks ago, he said 'no'.  Of course, that could still change.

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

I wouldn't mind paying good money for seed if you didn't have to scrape the crappin stuff off the ground to get it into the combine.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

I haven`t heard seed prices have went up.   But they`re tricky with their pricing, if you pay by September 15th you get 12% off, if you increase your order you get so much off, if you buy all your seed from them so much off, if you finance through them it`s prime + 1%  yada. yada.

I think it`ll be hard for companies to cut prices, because they have grown accustomed to selling +$250 seed like we thought $5 corn was our birthright....welcome to OUR world, seed companies! 

They could literally cut a lot of fat with these district reps driving around in their new pickups.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

BA  -  How  interesting  the  content  and  direction  of  your   ''''  ( Ninety - Five  Theses )   or  Thesis ''''   stating  the  structure   of  the  matter  -   -   -

Reformation  Week  -  Karma ,  although,  carefully  navigate  through  the  maze of  ''' indulgences '''',  as  in  today's  world,  like in Martins ,    change  can  be  a  challenge -   -   -          

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

The seed companies during the sweet years of 2008-2013 felt they had to pour into research, new equipment and things ballooned out of control...hard to sell $300 seed to farmers selling $3 corn.  Now we see traditionally Illinois or Indiana companies like Wyffels and Becks trying to gain market share in the Pioneer country of Iowa and Minnesota.  But, when budgets are tight, it`s hard to beat a good cheaper than $150 bag conventional seed that does well in the F.I.R.S.T trials....that`s what puts groceries on the table.  I usually have prepaid much of my seed by now, this year I`m a free agent, that`s Karma on them.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

nothing irks me more than a good early pay or early order discount......... always needing you to commit before this years trials are harvested or published. 

Young guys will fall for it with one stroke of the ego....."big time farmers"

Even if the discount is 40%....................40% of a price to be deterimined later???    Is not in your favor.  But to the seed company sales it says you are willing to take what they recommend and give you--- and do not require proformance in their product.  

Don't be an idiot ........a price and its comparison to what was paid last year is somewhat important, but we have rapidly moved into a time when we need to ask for a detailed itemization of a corn price..... what traits cost, how many traits are present what % of seed does not have trait, what traits do, how much of the price is genetics and where were they reproduced, packaged and stored. (who is actually verifying quality and who is selling who's seed after the deck is shuffled.)

I once trusted the folks I bought seed from ----- knew  the research and history of varieties.......Now I don't and now I don't 

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Interesting    discussion   -   -    -

Although  my  brother-in-law's  second  cousin  claims    _ _     b_u _s _h _e _l _   more,  kinda  like   '''adjusted '''  weaning  weights  -   -   -

0 Kudos