cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
buckfarmer
Senior Contributor

Re: Should I Custom Farm?

I've got to admit I don't know that stuff. There are no custom farmers around here. There was one guy that shelled some corn but got caught steeling. Every time I try to do custom work I get accused of charging to much, that is usually bush hogging and baling hay. So to those of us from another part of the country. Give details and not just ROI. Example; on my farm I uaually see about a 20 bushel corn increase after deep ripping. Ripping with my old equipment cost me about $30 per acre. Like I said I'm not great at figuring all the economics of farming but I can figure that one. But it dosn't need ripped every year. So if I were having my ground custom farmed who would make that decision and how would it effect what my custom farmer charges.

Faraway: I've had to threaten to treat these two like my kids before. I think the last time I was grounding Shaggy from his tractor and RSW drom his computer.
0 Kudos
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

Re: Should I Custom Farm?/Yes/Shaggy

Fairy Tale you are correct, I know nothing about custom farming, know why? Because I farm it myself, not the FarmVille or hay day games that you play, but my kids tell me they are real challenging so I see why you consider it farming.

As far as land that I own, like I said before, pick a number that makes you happy and go with it. I really don't give a flying F___ if you choose 1 acre or 1000. Unlike yourself, what is mine I have earned and paid for. But just for the record, I've still got that Iowa gal living under the same roof so I'm good for another couple hundred acres by your standards. ROTFLMFAO
0 Kudos
farawayguy
Veteran Contributor

Re: Should I Custom Farm?$150/acre is low????

RSW - maybe an brief overview of your operation? And what additional direct costs you might have outside what your $150 gets you? 

I was assuming if I talked to a propsective farmer, he'd tell me how he farms and we'd go from there. For example, I did talk briefly to one farmer about this who said he did corn only. At that point I didn't know farmers even did that. But if I'm talking to a low till type farmer, I'd assume that's how my farm would be done. As I've said, I'm new to this. I don't know things like the yield hit I'd take for one way vs. the other. 

0 Kudos
minnisota
Veteran Contributor

I would like to also hear how you come up with $900,000 savings by Custom Farming. If your paying $150 an acre and pay $275,000 you must be farming aprox. 1833.33  acres

So if my math is correct $900,000 divided by 1833.33 = $490.91 more per acre by custom farming. I think that's very impressive or are there other costs or did you make an extra $490.91.

I'm all ears or all eyes in this case.  

0 Kudos
buckfarmer
Senior Contributor

Depending on soil type, weather, and fertility you may actually increase yield with notill. Dosn't work for me. I lost a lot of money listing to "experts" tell how to farm the first few years. I think those kind of issues would be hard for a absentee farmer.
0 Kudos
Mike NCIA
Veteran Contributor

Faraway, be careful of believing too much of what RSW says on here. Time after time his words have been proven to be incorrect. Take everyone's advice and verify what he says.
0 Kudos
kraft-t
Senior Advisor

Yes, In iowa the iowa state extension service provide custom rate averages from the high end of the pay scale to the low end.. $150 per acre would  be at the top end.

0 Kudos
rswfarms
Senior Contributor

Yes Shaggy, since you can't even answer the 2 most basic questions about Custom Farming I posted for you to answer. Well. I think that says it all. Any real farmer or farmland owner would be able to answer those questions at the drop of a hat. But I read your posts that really have no farm knowledge behind them at all, so I am not the least bit suprised about your complete lack of knowledge. You would never be able to cut it being a farmland owner in Iowa which requires you have alot of knowledge to run a 1,800 to 2,000 acre corn and soybean operation. I think your problem is you think farming is a lifestyle, not a business that is profit run.

0 Kudos
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

That's it, the cat is out of the bag. Well chit, it was good while it lasted.

I guess I could ask you a couple questions:

How much hydraulic output does it take to operate a 16 row center fill pivot transport vacuum planter, how many hydraulic ports are required? Don't forget about case drains.

What RPM do I turn my rotor on the 2388 for corn? For beans? For milo? Etc...Etc..., also, do all those crops use the same conclaves?, how about fan speed? Any input?

These are simple questions any farmer should know, guess that leaves you out. ROTFLMFAO

Peak Fairy Tales for sure.
0 Kudos
buckfarmer
Senior Contributor

I wander if those farmers who have grown their operations to say 10,000 acres or more are people smart enough to figure the economics like RSW and do the work like Shaggy. And deal with employees that none of us three do. I know I'll never be that fortunate. Maybe my kids will be smart enough to build a operation like that.
0 Kudos