cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Veteran Advisor

Should I Renew Farm Bureau Membership?

My annual renewal notice arrived.  $40.  $42 or more if I want to support the political agenda, which I always decline.  Smiley Happy

I don't use FB insurance.  I used to use their print want ad sections heavily, but in recent years have used them very little.  I almost never read the weekly newsletter - it goes straight in the wife's recycle bin.  I never use their online want ads.

I get their daily email newsletter with it's list of articles, but it is a hassle to log in to read the stories it so I almost always click delete and don't read it.  If it were easy to log in or stay logged- just what are they protecting? - maybe it would be different.  If I put my passwords on sheets of paper the stack would be 1/2 inch thick - no thanks, FB, I don't need to look up my password to see whatever you have to say.  Just say it.

What is $40?  Not much.  It won't pay for a nice supper out with the wife anymore.  Shoot!  It won't pay for a nice supper out for one person anymore.  I could just shell the $40 out, but every year I think more and more, why do I have to pay $40 to get the opportunity to fumble for my password to read stuff I often don't agree with?

I don't know.  I just don't know.

0 Kudos
21 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: Should I Renew Farm Bureau Membership?

Jim,

Not sure if this applies to FB membership, but I am a lifelong and paying member of the American Legion strictly for the lobbying efforts it provides veterans and their interests. My elected senators and representative do not really care all that much what I think or say, but they do seem to care a great deal whenever my American Legion lobbyist knocks on their door. Who knew?

It follows, that if you are a farmer, you might want to consider contributing to an organization that also represents your own economic/political interests in Washington DC.

E Pluribus Unum...ehhhh?

[Or, you can get more in life with a kind word and gun than you can with just a kind word...metaphorically speaking, that is.]

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Do they represent your viewpoint?  Do you agree with their lobbying positions?

It seems to me that individuals want government to function according to law and make decisions that benefit  the population legally,  without bribery.

Lobbying organizations measure their value by how much money they can acquire from the taxpayers-------  to benefit the ones that pay for their services.   

I think there is a difference.   

My advice is to do what you can to keep lobbyist out of your congressman's office  ------ I think you will be better represented as an individual.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

40 bucks in Johnson county???  How do you guys get by so cheap?   We are at $55 and took it to that from $48 about 15 years ago and I think I was the one to make the motion that we do so and we didn`t lose one member because of it.

I have a lot of problems with the American Farm Bureau, they don`t represent me on many matters, they ask for more support from the states and we always vote down giving them more Smiley Very Happy  good riddance!

If you just look that the financial benefits of being a member, it`s a free membership.  Morton Buildings had a $500 discount to members.  Dodge pickups and NAPA have had discounts and glasses and car rentals.  Now it`s Ford and Case IH have discounts that pay 10yrs of membership dues.

Farm Bureau goes to bat to protect us against crazy high property taxes, ask a Nebraskan or Minnesotan what their property tax per acre is.   And that damned Des Moines water works lawsuit, without Farm Bureau, activist bureaucrats would run rough shod over us .  And Atrazine is always on the docket for being banned.

Farm Bureau supports "Ag in the Classroom" that aids teachers in pro agriculture curriculum.  Even Iowa kids no longer have a dad, uncle or grandpa that farms and maybe the Farm Bureau is these kids` only exposure to farming even if it`s a short lesson and field trip.  And these kids will one day vote and be politicians.  

The county Farm Bureau sends out a questionnaire and the voting delegate follows the grassroots opinions of the members, so fill it out when it comes and make your voice heard!  And approach the county about being a board member, they are always looking for township directors or director at-large.  

Good Lord Jim, 40 bucks!    Your Farm Bureau membership would be a bargain at 10 times that!

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

After  reading $40 .oo  &  $55.oo  is  well  spent  and  then  read  about  Your  A  1  Trick  Pony  -  which   way  IS  IT   - BA  ?    -  amaZing  

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

I`m having a hard time understanding you K-289.   So I`ll throw out some facts and maybe we`ll be lucky and get what you`re asking answered.

Okay in Iowa`s 99 counties there can be a difference in Farm Bureau dues, they are set at the county.  The state of Iowa farm Bureau gets I think $35 of the dues and anything over that goes to the county Farm Bureau to do county business, like supplies for Ag in the Classroom, Ethanol promotion, maybe paying for expense of a DOT officer to come in and explain new truck laws to farmers, things like that.   My county has $55 dues so after paying the state $35, we have $20 for each member to do activities for the members, Jim`s county is $40, so they maybe have more members and $5 is enough for each member.

So what`s my "A-1 trick pony"?????

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Why  is  an   earthen  structure  full of  urine   and  feces ,  called a  lagoon  -   ?  

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

And   the  stance  on  GIPSA  by  the  organization ? 

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Every bodies guess...here from $55 to $60 to be voted on this next ***** mtg..and I've told the agent AND some of the present directors, IF it wasn't for the agent, I'd be looking for insurance else where, because I do NOT agree with a lot of the statements the current state president of KS says...just like most of the farm organizations,

it is supposed to be the others who do the giving to get along with...bs, get some business behind the damned organization and make some waves, goody two shoes

goes only so far, the sugar for the flies only works so long..tar and feathers gets remembered...

Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

I probably dislike large industrial ag even more than you do.  However, it`s what we`re stuck with, "they" figured out that 5,000hd of hogs can be crammed into a building and raised cheaper than the guy with overalls and a bushel basket.   I am the guy with overalls and a bushel basket, so I don`t like what`s went on, but it`s bigger than Farm Bureau.

We have a cheap food policy, so we borderline abuse animals to produce meat and hire illegal aliens to milk cows...do it cheap cheap cheap and if you`re not doing cartwheels for it all, then you`re a racist the wants poor people to starve. 

There`s a saying that "things are ran by the 5% that shows up", Farm Bureau is a grass roots organization and 95% don`t show up, I kid you not only between 5% and 10% send the questionnaire in, they pay their dues so what do you expect?   And of the 5% that show up not even 5% of them ever raise hell,....  "all those in favor say aye"   …"aye, aye, aye, aye, aye, aye aye, aye, aye aye" .

But those that serve on the board the average is 60 farms 1,000 acres has a kid that wants to farm so they get hog buildings, cause they can`t find land to rent.   Then there`s 80yr olds that are landlords, they have nothing against big ag, big ag means big rent checks $$$$.  Then there`s 30 somethings that wanna be a BTO with hog buildings.   Now, if you have common sense you might agree with those individuals on 90% of other issues, I can work with people that I agree with 90%, I agree with my Wife half the time and I married her   Smiley Happy

0 Kudos