cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: Slide Rule

When the grand kids were here over Christmas my 12 year old granddaughter asked me to teach her to drive the tyractor. I still have the Jubilee Ford that my dad bought when I was 12 so I could help him in the field. The weather was good enough I could have done what she asked if not for my bad thumb. I put her off until the next trip in the spring. However, when I teach her the 11 and 10 year olds will be right behind wanting to do the same. The 11 year old flew the simulator at the Air and Sspace museum this week, so maybe the tractor will be too tame for him!.......Soyroy 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

If you want an education on how math skills have dropped, and how dependant people have become on machines, shop with cash.

I do this frequently for small items, and just keep the reciept.  Throughout the day, to keep from winding up with too much change in my pocket, I try to remember about how much is there, and minimize it at the end of the day.  If you REALLY want to see someone with a 'deer in the headlights' look, go somewhere, and buy something so the toatal is something like $5.44.  Put a $10 bill on the counter, and they automatically punch $10 in the register.  THEN tell them you have 'two quarters', and watch them panic, not knowing what to do.  If you tell them you need $5.06 in change, they sometimes think it is a trick, and will call a manager to help (it's happened!), and sometimes, they take the 'change' the register says to give you (the 56 cents) and THEN they take the 2 quarters they gave back, along with the 2 quarters I produced, and give me another $1 bill (they realize I just don't want to walk around jingling, but almost need to do that, to get the math to come out).

I have basically realized, that to avoid confusion, I must first tell them I have change in my pocket, before they hit the buttons on the register.

One time, I was at the bank, and the banker told me when I get my loan paid off, that they had an investment of some sort, that at its current rate, would double every 10 years.  That meant in 30 years, if rates stayed the same, the money I put into it today would be worth 6X at retirement.

When I get my loan paid off, I intend to change banks, if that guy is still in charge.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

I was in the Navy 1970 - 1974. I had majored in math in college so the Navy sent me to Great Lakes Naval Station to teach Electrician Mates that were going on to Nuclear Power school. We taught college freshman level algebra and physics. It was a quick three week refresher course so we taught the same things over and over and over.......every three weeks. 

Anyway, we spent an entire afternoon (a Friday) teaching slide rule. We had a huge (probably 6 feet long) working wooden slide rule that was hung over the black board. Each student had a normal sized one at their desk.

The teacher's lounge at that naval school had one of those $100 desk top calculators that could only add, subract, multiply and divide. They closed the school while I was there and since we had bought the calculator with our coffee profits we drew a name out of a hat to see who would get it. I won it; there were a lot of jealous fellow teachers....

Speaking of the first calculators, we had some of those Wang calculators at the library in college. They were in small individual rooms that you had to sign up to use.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Instructors used the same 6 ft wooden slide rule but was mounted on a mobile frame so it could be easily moved.    Never saw Robert after HS graduation.   Believe he evenually went to medical school, became an MD, and made a career working in/for the military. 

0 Kudos