cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jim Meade / Iowa City
Senior Advisor

Small Item Shipping Costs Outrageous

I'm finding more and more often that an item that seems reasonably priced online ends up with what I think is a huge shipping cost.  Yes, one oftens saves state sales tax.  It saves a trip to town.  It's getting so when I shop around for prices, I look for the final price and don't assume shipping is about the same.  I've seen quite a difference in shipping costs.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Re: Small Item Shipping Costs Outrageous

For awhile on Ebay the trick was they`d sell things for 99¢ and a $20 shipping charge to avoid the ebay selling fees, now ebay charges a fee on the shipping as well.   I don`t know if it might be a shady tax avoidence scheme where a company might show a lose on the good they`re selling, but not actually losing money because they make it up on the shipping or what.

I order alot from Shoup and if it`s over $200 the shipping is free, a few times I`ll scramble and add a oil filter or something to get over the $200 mark  Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Some shippers actually earn more revenue on S&H costs than on merchandise, especially for smaller items. Like you, I look at my total cost, but the mileage, energy and time saved, get harder and harder to factor out, at my age.
0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Most of the good online sellers now either do free shipping over a minimum, or ship any amount within reason for a flat fee of $5.95. or some similar terms. I use amazon Prime a LOT, for nonperishable grocery items, and even now our catfood and lightweight litter, since neither is reliably available locally. Zappos for shows has been my go-to for years. I haven't bought shows in a store in recent memory...free shipping both ways makes it even more attractive. Have never had to send any back, but knowing I can makes me try a pair....
0 Kudos