cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Advisor

Re: 'Spite effect' & high land sales

Ba does the BTO hog realize hearses don't have trailer hitches?

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Hey nwobcw, I really don`t think that`s something they take into account. Seriously BTOs are wired differently, I know one that if he loses renting even just a small odd partial, he will actually tear up and quiz the owner as to why he lost it and make additional offers. They really look at each acre that they control as their "baby".   I can somewhat understand them, as a kid I spent many hours on a open station tractor with no radio.  To keep somewhat sane I would daydream how one day I got on my own I would farm the whole county, then I`d have alot of kids and we would farm the whole state of Iowa.  My Grandkids would join the opperation and my family would control farming in the United States...but then I grew up.  Hog and grain, prices and production hit snags that weren`t in my daydreams and today none of my kids want anything to do with farming.  However, if I had a filthy rich old man or won the lottery and never had to growup, maybe I`d be one of those that are gossipped about today.  My Dad always said `gamblers are never happy, until they`re broke`.   I suppose that I had better add this disclaimer for the benefit of those reading this and can`t comprehend it...hi Don.    It`s a free country and if a BTO wants to buy/rent all the land that he can gather, then make an ass out of himself, I really don`t care.  However, if his greed catches up to him, I don`t want to see him come with tears in his eyes asking the US Taxpayer to bail him out again.  That BTO should take his lumps and go to the factory if his $500 rent and $15,000 land don`t pan out.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

BA, you have a gift for timing in making something funny. Bet you can really tell a joke good. Just about fell out of my chair laughing just now at your "disclaimer".

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

You need to publish your standards so that everyone knows how much land one can accumulate without making an ass of himself. It's hardly fair if you make that determination without letting others in on your rules.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

I think your reply points to a principle of human nature that I have observed for many years: We tend to attribute to others the motivations we hold in our own hearts. 

A person who sees only spite probably has a spiteful sentiment within himself.  One who sees simply the once-in-a-lifetime chance to fulfill a deeply held desire probably has some deeply held wishes that he is waiting to satisfy, when the time is right. 

It's sort of like those folks who see hardworkers as "lucky" and themselves as "unlucky."  Most circumstances are what we make of them, as most opportunities are. 

Much of what happens to us in life happens in our heads.  When we try to read the minds of others, we most often reveal what is on our own. 

Senior Advisor

well said kay!

0 Kudos
Advisor

I ran up a piece of ground at auction trying to buy my first.  The buyer was the one that had been renting the land for multiple years.  Congratulated him afterwards and went home.  Had a few neighbor farmers say they wished I would have got it because the other cat was using family money and not his own and that is why he bid it up so high.  This was really the start of the run up in the county in my opinion.  I just said thank you and didn't let it bother me.  Then went on and bought 2 different 80's from a realtor, when they closed the neighbors said no way they would pay that much.  I just said the best time to buy land is when it is for sale and when you can afford it.

Today all the neighbors say they wish they would have bought the land because it was such a good deal.  Of course if I would have went broke they could have all said I told you so.

When I ask my fathers advice (he is in his 80's) in the beginning he just said "your not going to use my money to do that!".  Now he says that I got a good deal and should have bought more!  He is a funny man.

Moral of the story: buy when you can afford it.

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

As for the other guy using someone elses money, few of us would have bought anything without borrowed money.

People that say it is too high may be right but they will never own land anyway. It seems like there is always risk involved and the golden opportunity seldom arrives. Even when land prices has collapsed 2/3rds as it did in the 80's, you still have to have the courage to put you name on the dotted line.  It usually does'nt look to positive at the time because you don't know if the land prices are done collapsing.

I think most dads that have lived lifes experiences beleive that their sons are wildly optimistic. Bordering on reckless. And sometimes they are right

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Then, too, if children only do what their parents have always done, as a species, we would still be huddled around a fire in a cave, living lives that are "short and brutish."

Strike that...we wouldn't have the fire....

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I don't think there are any sit "standards"  I know of a guy around home that gives huge cash rents, trades equipment to make money, that is a direct quote, and is building 3 new houses.   Now is he making money?  Probably, but hes kinda a farm byt he seat of your pants famrer, he planted corn one year way to wet and cold, and had to replant 700 acres. 
I agree with the other post, I don't want to see any tears and complaining.  Everyone evolved in farming knows that it can go up and down.  If you over extended yourself and you fail, thats no one's fault but your own.  

0 Kudos