cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

Steve King, farm bill, crop insurance

Fringees won`t want to hear this.  Iowa people will say "so that`s why prices are cheap" .  

http://www.spencerdailyreporter.com/story/2464821.html   

Residents in Iowa's 4th Congressional District can expect to see progress on this year's farm bill in the near future, U.S. Rep. Steve King said during a brief visit with area news organizations on Nov. 21.

"We've been just incrementally moving forward on that along the way," the Kiron Republican said. "You can expect that in the first quarter of next year, we'll introduce the House version of the base bill. Then we'll set about scheduling a markup in committee and a chance to go to the floor."

Major portions of the drafted bill include rewriting some standards of the Farm Service Agency's Conservation Reserve Program and adding language to protect crop insurance. King said Iowans pay a higher percentage of the unsubsidized premium for crop insurance in proportion to other states. He said Iowans paid $1 of the unsubsidized premium in recent years and only received 96 cents back. Neighboring states like Illinois paid in the same amount, but received $1.07, and other states receive several times their premiums, according to King.

"That means there's far less risk in Iowa and, if we're subsidizing people that are farming poor land, then that distorts a lot of things," King said.

He expressed his concern for what some lawmakers may do if the distortion is not understood.

"I'm concerned that there will be a real effort to reduce or eliminate crop insurance by people in Congress that just consider it to be an ag subsidy, so I've got some of the groundwork prepared to fight some of that off," King said. "If that battle starts — and I'm confident it will start — then my effort will be that they move it toward (being) actuarily sound."

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Honored Advisor

Re: Steve King, farm bill, crop insurance

Well there isn't much hope for the new agriculture welfare program.....

Not much urgency there.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

After we get actuarially sound, which comes across to me as "we share together or you don't get my vote" we can start getting right down to the kernel of the issue - subsidies.  How much should the government guarantee you to raise crops?  How much risk should the farmer accept to grow crops?  

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Nor money..,..

While talking budget....trump might go down
As an expensive president.... Not only is
His budget off by 1 TRILLION.

But if we get in a war....look how much that
Will cost..... remember what Bush's deal cost
Us
0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Wars will break any budget.

What are you willing to give up to keep current budgets in line?  Specifically, since this is an agriculture talk site, what ag programs are we willing to cut back on?

Crop insurance?  ARC and PLC?

0 Kudos