cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Veteran Advisor

Still Time To Fill Out Census

NASS officials have sent out this reminder, Thursday. It is a note that tells me farmers are not sending in enough Census forms. Have you completed yours?

The U.S. Department of Agriculture’s (USDA) National Agricultural Statistics Service (NASS) reminds Iowa farmers that they still have time to complete their 2017 Census of Agriculture form if they have not already done so. Conducted once every five years, the census aims contact every producer to get a complete and accurate picture of American agriculture.

Iowa is considered an agricultural leader, ranking as the top producer of several commodities. There is another agricultural title the state is currently holding - the highest response from farmers on the 2017 Census of Agriculture. As of February 22, just over 50% of Iowa farmers had returned their questionnaires. This is the highest response rate of any State although response from Illinois producers is close behind and challenging to take over the top spot.

Iowa Department of Agriculture and Land Stewardship Deputy Secretary Mike Naig also reminds farmers to return their census form. “Thank you to all the Iowa farmers who have completed their Census of Agriculture,” said Naig. “We want to maintain the top spot for responses but more importantly we need every producer to complete their questionnaire to accurately reflect what is actually happening on our state’s farms.”

While the initial deadline passed earlier this month, NASS is still accepting questionnaires. In the coming weeks, farmers who have not responded will receive a follow-up phone call or reminder mailing.

The Census data is used by policy makers to make decisions about farm policies and budget allocations that will impact our farms and rural communities. The Census is a chance for farmers to make sure decision makers have the best information possible about what is happening on our farms when making those decisions,Naig added.

Farmers can respond online at www.agcounts.usda.gov or by mail. For more information about the 2017 Census of Agriculture, visit www.agcensus.usda.gov or call (800) 727-9540.

Mike

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Honored Advisor

Re: Still Time To Fill Out Census

1. an official count or survey of a population, typically recording various details of individuals.

1.  conduct an official financial examination of (an individual's or organization's accounts).

1. a period of prolonged and intensive questioning or investigation.

1.  a formal inquiry or systematic study.

1.   an expert estimate of the value of something.

1.  the person genuinely believes that they have committed the crime, as a result of highly suggestive interrogation techniques. 

All definitions of terms that came to mind reading and formulating answers to the questions and the way they are framed....

Census, inquisition, financial audit, investigation, appraisal and internalized false confession

"census" seemed the most inappropriate term.... this is not a population count..... little concern for counting human heads.
    Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Did mine online the first week.

A lot of important decisions are made based on the census.  For myself, it seems in my interest to fill it out completely and accurately.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

If you waited til the last week someone will call and make it clear to you what "your best interests" means....

Smiley Happy      

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Well, let me see.  I can do it and forget about it or I can put it off, knowing  that eventually I'm going to get bugged about it, and then I take the phone call and listen to someone tell me why I ought to do it and then I finally get around to doing or - or decide I'll junk it and put up with more phone calls and visits.

I wonder if I saved any time by just doing it and getting it over with and off my mind right away?  Well, I'm not going to think about it.  Maybe 5 years from now I'll think about it.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Mike, I completed my census online a couple weeks ago. I refused to enter in my financial information though. I have no problem giving the USDA a description of my operation, but don't need USDA knowing my financial business.

0 Kudos