cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Suing Big Food

If you like mesotheleoma, you're going to love trans fats.  Some law firms are proposing to sue Big Food the same way the tobacco industry was targeted 30 years ago.

The FDA recently said that trans fats were not Generally Recognized as Safe and that is spurring some law firms to suggest that food processors who use them are subject to suit.  

Will General Mills, Pillsbury and Nabisco be the next Winston and Phillip Morris?  Will your identity preserved grains and meats end up in the dock or on the docket?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Re: Suing Big Food

From a blog on this topic:

"The Valorem Law Group, in Chicago, spells out how "parens patrie," the same legal doctrine used in the mid-90s litigation against the tobacco industry, could be used to take on the food industry in a six-page letter it sent to Pennsylvania Attorney General Kathleen Kane last year, a copy of which was obtained by POLITICO. The Latin expression, which means 'father of his country,' refers to the government's ultimate responsibility to protect its citizens.
'There is a litigation strategy that could provide substantial taxpayer relief in a critical area responsible for increasing costs to states, and transform State Attorneys General into unlikely heroes in budget dramas: using state parens patriae authority to prosecute [redacted] claims against 'Big Food' to the extent select foods and beverages, and marketing of the same, cause and contribute to the states' nearly $30 billion annual medicaid bill for obesity,' reads the letter."

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

We have heard the beating drum the unhealthy effects of obesity for a couple of decades which has been ignored by the general public only to be addressed by numerous diet fads---Not condoning either side or action although the " junk food core" experts probably could expect the reaction and never admit it --- The feed back statements will be interesting ---    

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

I am beginning to conclude that the paleo diet is the proper means of human nutrition. It is basically Atkins with more fruit, the way I read it. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

After watchgin the tobavvo settlement money abused in NC, I can say it is sinful to think they would get a new pot of money to squander.  Google Golden Leaf money in NC, and see what I mean.  I hope some of those arrogant bastards do time. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

When the word consultant appears looking under the covers can be unsettling which reminds me of the words like chek off and eqwip ---

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

While I hate to see anyone sued, when I consider the way big food has adulterated the wholesome food raised by producers with their fillers and artificial favors, I have a difficult time generating much sympathy for them. A lot of our modern health problems stem from big food adulterating and over processing the grains and produce we raise.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Actually, this seems to be specifically directed at trans fats, if my quick skim of the article read right. There is a lot of literature out there suggesting that the hybrid wheat, which is about all you guys raise today, is a major contributir to health problems, in and of itself.

I think where a food additive as comparative with tobacco falls apart for me is that the tobacco industry made a concerted effort to hook users. I don't think trans fats correlate all that strongly, but maybe I do not know enough about them.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

The word of hydroginated will have to be re-defined so word smith's will be at work ---

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Paleo is huge right now. They are a large portion of our non-restaurant customer base. More concerned about additives in food than Atkins.
0 Kudos