cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Advisor

Re: TBTF: any buyer's remorse?

Jump to solution

You say:

"Chemical use has not declined as resistances move faster than even the greatest pessimists had predicted. Now we have 5 herbicide cocktails being applied to GMO corn."

I have no idea if this is just a pointed alarmist bit or actually backed up by something concrete.  But if only slightly credible,in "another time" it wouldn't be hiding in the alternative press.

http://www.nationofchange.org/monsanto-s-roundup-glyphosate-threatens-ocean-life-coral-reefs-1392043...

The comments brought out the usual watchful industry trolls.  The half life question is murky from what we've been led to presume watching the product work.  If it loses effecacy after 5 days in the soil how much can migrate?  But maybe it's those mixes and the attatchment factor that allows it to move?  Who knows.  But nonetheless, it would have been on the general radar, not so very long ago.  And possibly even considered at it's inception when it was developed by those grad students in that little brownstone lab down in Columbia, Mo. at the people's  Land Grant institution. Before it was handed over on a platter to the Big Mo.

0 Kudos
Advisor

Jump to solution

Yeah. I've seen that. Can't really claim expertise to evaluate the claim, or even Don Huber's work regarding changes in soil microbes.

But for a place and in a business where everyone is full of common sense heurisitic wisdom, it seems fair to say that putting ever increasing amounts of one compound on successive crops (and the majority of crops), without rotation, is a bad idea.

I guess common sense applies to our critiques of what others do wrong, not stupid stuff that we do.

0 Kudos
Advisor

Jump to solution

http://www.responsibletechnology.org/posts/monsanto%E2%80%99s-roundup-triggers-over-40-plant-disease...

"Monsanto used to boast that Roundup is biodegradable, claiming that it breaks down quickly in the soil. But courts in the US and Europe disagreed and found them guilty of false advertising. In fact, Monsanto’s own test data revealed that only 2% of the product broke down after 28 days.

Whether glyphosate degrades in weeks, months, or years varies widely due to factors in the soil, including pH, clay , types of minerals, residues from Roundup Ready crops, and the presence of the specialized enzymes needed to break down the herbicide molecule. In some conditions, glyphosate can grab hold of soil nutrients and remain stable for long periods. One study showed that it took up to 22 years for glyphosate to degrade only half its volume! So much for trusting Monsanto’s product claims."

As fine an example as you'll ever find of Tainter's axiom from Collapse of Complex Civilizations

"failed due to increasing investment in complexity that produced diminishing marginal returns."

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Jump to solution

"I don't see any broad utility served by having the taxpayer backstop risk on unlimited scale."

Nox ----- with that statement I totally agree.

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Jump to solution

Chinas manipulation of the markets is capitalism at its best. Capitalism is trying to get an advantage in the market place and exacting profits from it.

Some people have the notion that captalism is comprised of kindly souls engaged in friendly competition. I don't think that is the case. Perhaps a group of devious vultures trying to manipulate an economic advantage over their competition would be a more apt description.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

Jump to solution

Objectively speaking, farmers in Canada, Australia, Brazil etc. have a considerably stronger case against you than you have against the chicoms.

0 Kudos