cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

The battle begins...again!

Here we go...debt ceiling crisis, tied to Obamacare held hostage. Media alreadt hyping benefits checks and public service/ military going unpaid. I am honestly trying to tune as much of it as posdible out...just one more source of unneeded stress tiday!

Just for the heck of it, anyone who is more in tune with politics want to lay out how and when this situation will resolve itself for me this morning?
0 Kudos
8 Replies
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Re: The battle begins...again!

I wouldn`t worry about it, the sequestration was supposed to be such a bad thing..there was no armageddon, now Obama is taking the credit for the lower deficit because of it.  Senator Grassley will put your mind to ease `tax money coming in will cover the urgent bills` http://www.iptv.org/iowapress/story.cfm/10982/video/ip_20130920_4102_sen_grassley_government_shutdow...

I think it`s a case of the Republicans making it known that there are absolutely NONE of their fingerprints on this impending disaster known as "0bamacare".

0 Kudos
Jim Meade / Iowa City
Senior Advisor

It is a big game of chicken.  The Republicans will cave in, as they probably should, and the Democrats will use that as an excuse to avoid fiscal responsibility.  Both parties are to blame and that means we who elect them are to blame.  We have met the enemy and they is us.

0 Kudos
kraft-t
Senior Advisor

senate democrats and the president will do nothing to diminish the affordab;le care act. As much as republicans want to use it as a bargaining chip, it will not happen. So they can waste our time on that exercise, that is all theywill getis wasted time.

The debt limit is congresses baby to deal with. They either raise it or they don't. Obama is not going to offer or give any concession to get the measure past. The days of holding the president hostage are over. He will not capitulate to hostage takers demands.

BTW republican't congressmen are not worried that Obama care will fail. They are afraid that it will succeed and they don't want to be on the wrong side of the issue like they are on SS and medicare.

0 Kudos
Packard27
Senior Contributor

Years ago a Leningrad Tractor Works factory worker pushed a wheelbarrow filled with straw out one of the factory gates. This event went on each night for several weeks. Even though there was a posted gate guard, the guard gave the larcenous act little notice. The guard did this because he reasoned that even in the Soviet Union, with all of its chronic shortages and black market dealings, straw was one of the few things in the entire country that was in plentiful supply. Who could begrudge a fellow comrade for whatever paltry amounts of straw he might take from one of the people’s largest factories?

At last, the gate guard’s curiosity got the best of him and so he stopped the worker. He asked, “Comrade, I have watched as you have repeatedly wheeled worthless straw out of the factory each night. I have also noted how worthless straw is to most everyone. So my question is; what are you doing with all of the straw you are taking?” The worker replied, “Comrade, I am not stealing straw....I am stealing wheelbarrows.”

0 Kudos
Packard27
Senior Contributor

The Obamcare debates are a lot like this cold war story of misdirection. While people get caught up in arguing about their premiums, their deductables, and any losses of medical services, the real money these past five years has been made with investments in health care insurance (i.e. Aetna, Kayser Permanente, etc.) . While the former things are what the late Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan (NY) once called "Boob Bait for the Bubbas," the latter is all about making money from a crony capitalistic form of government.

Moral: Don't waste your time arguing about handfuls of straw when profits are to be had in the selling of lots of hot wheelbarrows. Res ipsa loquitur

And not to become too jaded by our current state of medical care, but just ask yourself: "What would 'Bill' do?" Let me suggest that wherever Bill Clinton, Bill Gates, Bill O'Reilly, or Bill Mahr are going to be getting their medical care, it is a safe bet that none of them will be stuck in dirty waiting rooms with the rest of the schlubs. Just make sure you are with Bill in the upcoming years.

0 Kudos
k-289
Senior Advisor

I found it interesting that a reply was never given of my question to my congressional folks about their $$$costs of their medical -health insurance --- also their retirement benefits --- 

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

But, Jim, we always say it's our own fault.  Nobody decent seesm willing to run for office anymore.  If so, once they are elected, someone whispers some magical words in their ear, and they turn just a sour pretty damned quickly.  I am beginning ot ascribe to some of the conspiracy/Illuminati theories. 

0 Kudos
hardnox604008
Advisor

That is why it was believed that there was no support for the public option- socialized medicine. The framework for the "free market" approach was put together by the GOP think tank Heritage Foundation and is the basis for both Romneycare and Obamacare.

I'd much prefer a public/private pan with "medicaid for all"  a very basic plan for everyone that was funded by a payroll tax. Then anyone who wished could buy as much additional supplement as they'd like- if you want to be promised that they'll keep you on life support for 20 years and want to pay the premium, go for it.

BTW, that would be a boon to lower wage employers, some of whom are the loudest opponents of the current law.

However, there is always somebody who thinks they are getting shortchanged by any change. People who have jobs with good benefits generally don't like that- they think it is part of the deal they bargained for. They tend not to be convinced when argue that if premiums go up at the rate that they did for decades before until about 2011 (pretty flat the last couple of years, on average) then eventually they're going to be facing big co-pays as well.

It is sort of like farm subsidies, once people get used to something they think it is their due.

0 Kudos