cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Veteran Advisor

Re: The big money behind buying organic or "NO GMO"

Ec  - '''  building  trust '''  is an very interesting  ''' con'''-cept  -  when dog treats made off shore  '''  imported '' from China were causing pet fatalities  -  trying  to  rebuild  a consumer's  trust  and  faith would  be  an  epic  challange ---  Dismantling any portion of our law in place such as  C O O L  carries out futher than most producers can imagin ---           

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

According to folks that do  ''' bees ''' as a full time life style - combinations of their problems listed as   ''' habitat dimise '''  which evades  rocket  science while posing the question have you placed your order for  ''' milk weed ''' seeds from Iowa State U - - - most interesting ---  

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

In re: Pet foods

As for pet food contents, grains in particular. i have this anecdotal reonse:

Several months back, I think about a year ago, we adpoted two spayed, adult female data from avlocal shelter. Grat animals. Not long afterwards,
I went back for a companion for the old kitty at our second home, and was advised that a neitered male would getvalong best with her. That was the day MattyCat picked me out, and moved in. We never tried relicating him to the second house, because he hsd such a hard time adhjusting to being out ofbthe shelter, we felt it unfair to make him adapt twice.

All three cats ate a " good" brand of indoor formula. Two seemed fine, but my poor little Sophie got SO fat on it, we had to do something different.

Knowing what what we do from eating Atkins ourselves, we put all of them on the highest protein dry we could find. It is a weight management formula, so at least the pet foods people recognize carbs equal obesity.

She is still on the plumpish side, but I think in another month or two, we will hardly recognize her, if we hadn't known here before that dietary detour. Keep in mind, all these animals were in fairly small cat condo cages, with no real room to exercise. They have a big house, with climbing opportunities galore, run long hallways, etc.

Or, as my trainer admitted last week : It's all about what we eat.
0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Re: In re: Pet foods

Ecin,

My wife says read this............

How ya gonna keep that dog home when it has been trained to eat raw chickens, eggs and other raw meats.......?

And why are you worrying about buying dog food at all.....?

She's got a point --- road kill and the popular barn yard birds should take care of the feeding and the community travel will be good exercise...

Smiley Happy

I used to "extrude" soybeans for  hog feed and experimented on some other grains..... It is really part of the "take advantage of the ignorant public" issue, isn't it?

Like the e-coli meat recalls or the reality that most actual cases of e-coli come from fresh vegitables, unwashed and uncooked...

If it had a bug growing in it that extruder would fry the little demon....... OHHH  ya "cooking",,,,,,,, the way we fix the bacteria in our food.

Media  ---- My son spent years writing feature columns....... He says it is sickening how little research writers do and how little they know about the subject.  But one thing is necessary,,,,,, the article needs some shock value to get published and these days so much is being generated in the new electronic media, that misinformation never gets challenged.... and corrections are burried in the bottom of the e-coli pile.....

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Or the out right and important issue that every department of government needs to fund it self at least a little?????

"Ficticious or not",  get out there and make somebody pay....

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

SW  - Kinda like the list of sponsers at the Iowa University  milk weed project - interesting mix ---

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

I was reading the findings........ had to chuckle a little bit........ kind of like reading a list of political contributors in an election year...Smiley Happy

Reads like the actual research was finding published support....

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Yes, I`m not threatened by the existence of the organic industry. The there is bantering about on both sides of GMO vs organics I think equally, i`ve see nasty things said by both camps. About "the world would staaaarve if we all farmed organically..organics is a sham.." and on and on.   Well, we have what market gurus call a "burdensome over supply" of all farm commodities, so it won`t hurt our bottomline a bit to throw a bone to the organics, the lower supply might help our "burdensome supply" and improve our bottomline overall. ...We`re not much better than Big Oil trying to squash Ethanol when you look at this objectively.

Instead of Big Ag Inc trying to totally destroy organics, I`d say learn to live with the niche markets.  Like Pepsi and Coke didn`t go broke because of bottled water or energy drinks..competition is good for business.

Big Ag Inc should continue to showcase itself with programs like the Gary Wergin "Good Neighbor Award'

http://www.iowaagriculture.gov/goodNeighborAward.asp  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Pepsi and Coke largely gifted my generation Type 2 Diabetes, then started selling us Dasani and Aquafina. Brilliant strategy, really....
0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

It's very interesting how these   ''' sound  science '''   addressments work with the  ''' insider '''  making  half baked ''profess-ments'' ---  Social media degree of gulabillitty probably needs to be examined first ---