cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

Re: The big money behind buying organic or "NO GMO"

Science seemed to spend most of its time in the twentieth century on macro isdues. Now, we are hearing great reams of specualtion and investigation into the micro, even to the chromosomal level. Much more fascinating, isn't it?
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Yes, much more fascinating.  How you been?  Life is just crazy busy here.  Really really struggle to maintain farm, processing plant, and distrubution company fully staffed.  Spend way too much of my life dealing with regulatory and employee issues.  

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Never is history has there been a society that has serious issues with hunger and over eating at the same time.  Very very poor food choices at the macro level.  Most products in the grocery store aren't food.  Have you read the book The Dorito Effect?  Must read.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I'm 100% convinced the only chance the American farmer has is to embrace the concept that niche markets need to exist.  Notice, I didn't say they needed to produce for niche markets.  They need to articulate that the marketplace and not regulations should determine how food is grown in this country.  Under that scenario there is room for hobby, niche, and commodity farmers.  Under regulations industrial ag is going away in this country and the overwhelming majority of people will eat imported food.  Organics aren't GMO's enemy.  Its the reason that gmo hacks could justify their genetic playground.  Consumers can buy non-gmo.  Its available as USDA certified organic.  

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Don't we all get worn out with regs? We are pretty busy running back and forth, between the NC place and this one in VA. Higs there, cows mostly here. Just got mine in-between back out of that mining company reclamation research lease last spring, trying to make it productive again.

I have always thought there is room for all types of agriculture. We are the odd ones out in both localiities, comparatively. At least our choices have allowed me to be with our grandson most days, and that has helped me refocus on the future....
0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

No, have some other topics of research taking precedence right now.. On a binge of c1920s topics.

Last time I picked an era to concentrate on,it was right at the turn of the twentieth century. Common theme on all of them was that there was a serious case of hubris, that science had everything all figured out.

I will add it to my wish list on amazon. Thanks for the recommendation.
0 Kudos
Contributor

Social media is a great platform that will update you regarding each and every matter like on what thing you have to spend more money in the field of farming.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

I'm convinced the food safety regs are going to get the little and niche guys and the environmental and animal welfare regs are going to get the big guys.  And I think its planned.  A foreign food supply for the bread basket of the world.  The big guys won't care cause they've had plans in the works to be multinational for a long time.  JBS was (is) making a killing buying 40 cent "fats" in australia while they were selling closer to $2 in the U.S.A.  We thought it was bad when they pitted US farmers against each other.  We ain't seen nothing yet.  I stil stand by those old comments that if we watch history the bullets will fly eventually to straighten this mess out.  Always does.  Not saying thats what I want.  Just saying that's what has always happened in history past.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Interesting  clip  on  the  Aussies  beef  market  pricing - 

0 Kudos