cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

Re: The big money behind buying organic or "NO GMO"

K-289    that is a solid observation... good comment...

My first introduction into the "adult" world was the Denver Post Classifieds..... Grandpa's place had little for a 12 yr old to do... so I read the sunday paper......... My dad payed attention and soon began explaining the risks and moral issues for those who frequented each section.....

I was impressed with all the things adults "needed to know" to traverse the minefield of missinformation and scamming done through individual, blind commerce....

Every time i do a search on the internet or look at a new asset purchased on craigs list or the many others,  I remember the similarities to the "anything goes" classifieds of the old days...

It has changed my perspective as well ---- the bulk of the public didn't get the training I did living way beyond the green river ordinance,,,,,,,, the world is "awash" with gullability. 

1)  "awash" rights on loan from Elcheapo

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

SW   - good points -  someone in these professional groups needs to call a special meeting which being the  ''' in ''' thing on the corporate management level and redefine the nasty old word called   ''' ethics '''    - just , maybe. might , could, also on the agenda ?   

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Thank You !!!
Honored Advisor

There used to be a set of morals underpinning conduct in our country, which I recall was known as Judeo-Christian values. The commonality of those beliefs and cultures was pretty much bedrock, in concert with the legal concept of " a reasonable man"... As in " In these circumstances, what woukd a reasonable man do?"

Somewhere along the way on school, I remember being cinfronted with the " lifeboat" moral dilemma. What would you do if you were faced with a real survival situation? Would that alter your morals in any substantial way?

That is, I guess you would say, the analogy for all " situationsl ethics" considerations. Ethics arevthe external manifestation of morals in my mind...the behavior that stems from the inner characteristic.

What I think is happening is sort of twofold: the i fluence of Judeo-Christian values on this cukture has eroded, and almost all ethics have become situational.

There used to be a worry for what others would think of us...our culture required strong conformity. Artists and others who were too creative or unconcerned with toeing the line were the outliers.

Now, it is as though we are all expected to create a system of moral conduct from scratch, political correctness superceding common sense to the point that you are a " bigot" if you think people should work to support themselves, and have the gall to say so out loud. We are supposed to forgive all sorts of uncooperative behavior, and een criminal conduct.

When we see bankers get away with what they skated on seven years ago, we realize the system is stacked against the honest, reasonable man. This really troubkes me, as I try to help mold our little grandson, into a good and decent man. Are we just setting him up to be a patsy?
0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Around here thankfully, people are ethical and their word is their bond. I don`t like what has happened with the "big box" environment, because it does place "ethical cushions" where you are further removed in many layers from the owners, in some cases those are stockholders.  Walmart seems to have their service desk with the long line and just must issues refunds, no questions asked and that expense is amortized into the cost of everything we buy.

I do hold out great hopes for Generation Z, they tend to be a little more improved from their spoiled millenial predecessors.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

'''  Free '''  trade , Globalization ,  corp. sell outs lining the pockets of the directors ,   ETHICS  on display --- 

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

I don't see it as "the world has changed" but it obviously has.(I have never invisioned a decent world)....... we obviously have narrowed our definition of success to dollars to make it easier for the masses of under educated.....or something like that.

Dad's point was ethics............. if you have some(way beyond $$$$'s), then you can see more clearly those who don't,,,,, maybe stay less comfortable around them........  And living on the economic edge doesn't leave any room for scam contributions................................... there was something about "living under his roof"

Reality of the discussion was the only thing you have actual control over is what you are.   And the value of doing that well is unmeasurable, for most of our personal and business lives are still based on relationships..... and that "living under his roof" thing..

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

My biggest problem with GMO's in the midwest is the system of chemical dependancy it creates and the lack of biodiversity it guarantees.  Neither are a good thing.  Its not about producing more food.  Its not about producing healthier food.  Its not about doing things great for the environment.   We seen the same arguments in the chicken industry.  Then the hog industry.  Good luck being the last person standing when the dust settles.  GMO's are the gasoline on fire of consolidation and concentration of farmers.  

The real issue is not GMO or not GMO.  The typical U.S. consumer does not place much value on food.  10-11% of the income on food.  That doesn't leave much margin for anyone in the business of producing agricultural commodities or food.  

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Kay, you should read the book Farmecology by Dr. Daphne Miller.  I think it explains the true risk of chemicals that have the effect of disrupting biodiversity at the micro biome and genome level.  

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I've looked all over and can't find any support from CDC, USDA, FDA, industry hacks, or NGO that substantiates that salmonella statistic.  Salmonella is ubiquitous.  There are about 2500 strains of salmonella.  About 30 serotype cause almost all illness in humans.  About 3-5 cause illness and are resistant to every antibiotic known to man. Pathogens don't differentiate based on scale.   The current plan by USDA, FDA, and CDC aren't doing anything to lower salmonella illnesses in humans but sure are making processing plants travel down a road of chemical dependancy.  This experiment at a sterile society with food devoid of normal vitamins and mineral levels is a very interesting theory.  I can't believe you would stoop to that kind of fear mongering!! Actually, I can but it is kind of ironic.

0 Kudos