cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Re: The crop insurance question

You do realize that Obamacare isn't mandatory either?  If you don't want to have to buy health insurance, just don't file a tax return or pay the penalty.  Once upon a time with crop insurance we had basically the same circumstances.  If we signed the waiver, we basically gave up any right to a disaster payment.  This was back in the days when most took CAT coverage.  Just look at the amount of people in this country that don't file tax returns.  There will still be millions without health insurance once Obamacare kicks in. 

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Oh..just don`t pay income tax?

Excuse me I thought it was mandatory Smiley LOL  I think I`ll just do the sensible approach and vote for Mitt Romney who will repeal the Unaffordable Healthcare Act.  Thank you for the idea though ...more LoLingSmiley LOL

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

how does Obamacare lower quality of healthcare?

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

The government would sell coverage at cost plus just like crop insurers do.   If crop insurers want to compete they could do so but with  out the government subsidy. That shouldn't be a problem because private enterprise is always more efficient than government activity. RIGHT? That's what you folks tell us.

As to private health insurance, there is nothing preventing you from buying coverage from a private insurer. Have at it.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Didn't think you had any examples.

No clue what "cost plus" is.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Well Don, if I`m bleeding, losing a couple quarts of blood and the hospital is clogged with the nouveau-insurance holders getting their toenails trimmed, my care will be diminished.  Look at places with socialized medicine, you may or may not get care.  And look at the death panels in 0bamacare, if you get past a certain age you will get sent home with pain pills if the funds aren`t available for a new hip...here`s Mark Levin http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=un3T97Ba_0Y    One thing about crop insurance, there isn`t any death panels.  

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

You don't know what cost plus is? Hmmm!

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Re: Oh..just don`t pay income tax?

It is not mandatory to file a tax return if you have no taxable income to report.  A friend of mine who is an accountant was overwhelmed with tax filings a few years back when Bush Jr. gave a tax rebate because the only way to receive it was to file.  He had a number of people mostly those on Social Security that hadn't filed in years come to him to have him file for them.  If I understand things correctly, those on unemployment do not have to pay taxes on those benefits.  If this is their only source of income, I'd assume most do not file.  Assistance payments, child support payments, and Social Security payments are not taxable.  Considering Obamacare is somewhat patterned after Romneycare, I wouldn't hold my breath on a repeal.   

This comes directly from the IRS in terms of those who don't have to file.  Keep in mind, most of those that fall under these rules more than likely are the ones who also do not have health insurance:

• Are you a single filer?If you make below $9,350 you likely don’t need to file a tax return.  If you’re 65 or older, that limit rises to $10,750.
  • Are you filing as the head of a household?Your limit is $12,050 or $13,450 if you’re 65 or older.  If your income falls below this figure, you likely don’t have to file a tax return.
  • Are you married and filing jointly?You likely don’t have to file a tax return if your income falls below $18,700.  If one spouse is 65 or older, your limit rises to $19,800.  If both spouses are 65 or older, your limit rises to $20,900.  However, if you’re not living with your spouse at the end of the year, the income limit falls to $3,650.
  • Are you married and filing separately? If you make less than $3,650, you likely don’t have to file a tax return
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

If the FSA gets crop insurance back, I'm betting you'll get what you want.  When FSA did have federal crop insurance, I only know of one person who ever bought it.  The rest of us got our coverage from the private industry via crop hail insurance.  Most of us will do what we did back then by buying enough crop hail to cover our inputs.  If the taxpayer subsidies were removed from federal crop insurance, it would be cheaper to do this anyway.  I've never lost an irrigated crop yet to anything other than hail.  On dryland acres, we'll probably go back to growing wheat.  Even in really dry years we've been able to produce wheat. 

It is interesting though questioning the efficiency of the private sector over government as Britain is trying to privatise part of their health insurance program citing efficiency and cost as the reason why.  It isn't that gov't agencies can't be efficient.  The problem is there is really no reprocussions if they are not.  Either in this thread or another one similar dealing with crop insurance, an adjuster weighed in with 1/3 of the FSA offices being run well while the other 2/3 were not.  I would tend to equate that 1/3 are run efficiently and 2/3 are not.  Those working in the 2/3 more than likely receive the same compensation as those in the 1/3 which creates little incentive to do a better job.  There are good employees in gov't agencies, but there are also bad employees.  If you've ever spent much time on the phone with some of the different agencies, it's fairly easy to pick the good from the bad.  However, they all get paid the same and enjoy the same job security.  While I can't speak for every location, I've always kind of related those who worked for the gov't to those who work for the local coop with roughly the same ambition.   

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Are you seriously worried that the influx of new patients will clog the clinics so that you can't get attention?

0 Kudos