Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sw363535
Honored Advisor

Re: The facts on hunger?? obesity

Artifice, 

Good to hear from you --------

I would ask this-------- Are we consuming too many calories?  (Your right we are---IMO)

Or have we just stopped burning any calories?   (Other than in our gas tanks)  

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

People can tend to confuse undernutrition with malnutrition. You can have plenty to eat, and still not get the nutrients you need.
0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

Kay,

Are you saying my new IV, direct inject soda 3 quart jogging back pack is not enough????

🙂

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Well, it would be a more efficient mode of intake....

The truth is, nutrition is a poorly understood art, as well as a science. People struggle with their weight...and, I do not say this in the abstract. I have fought it since our children were born, and mostly lose the battle.

Food is only one piece of a fitness puzzle. The issue in the original post goes back to a questionnaire that was posted here several months ago, about whether or not your household has experienced difficulty in obtaining food due to lack of money or other resources. The story was front page in Feedstuffs this week.

Food security is a complex issue. Would those households be more food secure, if the adults in them would give up a $10 per day tobacco habit?
Was their resource lack that they didn't have reliable transportation to get to the store? Are we supposed to be sure they have a car with a full tank of gas, insurance and cash in hand, too?
Would they have those things if they had foregone a new iPhone, tattoos, and cable TV?
Would buying fewer convenience foods or restaurant meals have allowed their food budget to make it all the way through the month? Did your refrigerator go on the fritz, right after you stocked up? Can you replace it?

There are just too many variables to devise a very simple remedy. I default to what I said about free lunches when I taught school. Everyone could receive the same level of food support, regardless of income. Everyone could be offered training in how to make healthful foods on a budget. Everyone could be treated to emergency safety nets, for travails great and small.

We could do all of this as a nation, and some people would still manage to mess it up, and leave their families unfed, or fed too poorly to support good health.
0 Kudos
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Re: The facts on hunger??

Just to put a little different take on the issue of food stamps and hunger, there but the grace of God, I`ve never missed any meals.  But we need to follow the money trail, this welfare, SNAP, earned income credits basically go right in the backpocket of employers.  Those programs allow the employer NOT to pay a "living wage", a boss can pay minimum wage and if a employee complains that it isn`t enough, the boss can shrug his shoulders and say "Well, sign up for welfare and snap, I got a dozen standing in line that`ll gladly take your place!". 

I know there`s cases of abuse were an unmotivated worker takes a low paying job and goes to the food pantry for his food, then takes the money left over in his paycheck and buys the latest I-Phone.  But it`s the system that`s broken, mainly that the good jobs have been shipped overseas.

0 Kudos
rswfarms
Senior Contributor

Re: The facts on hunger??/ 2 Income Class Society

Living in the big city/ Twin Cities I see alot of people using Food Stamps/Credit card that the goverment puts the Food Stamps on I believe. From my experience it seems that a large number are young girls that have 1-3 kids and I will bet you that the young mother is not married. It is these single young mothers that alot of the food stamps go to I believe. With some of these low paying service jobs it really takes both a husband and wife working full-time to put food on the table, If both the wife and husband working for $8/hour that is only a $33,000 per year income. And just a 2 bedroom apartment in my part of the Twin Cities rentng for as much as $1,000 per month, that doesn;t leave much money for all the other expenses. This is something I read the other day, but it said that only 10% of the population makes 50% of the wages paid out to the entire population. I believe that could be a true statement I believe. But one thing that I have noticed the last 10-15 years is that it ssems the middle-class income level people are just disappearing and we are moving to only a 2 income class society, the "Have's" and the "have Not's" or basically the rich and the poor. Without a strong middle-class in our country, I believe we are in for some rough times in the next 20 years or so I belive.

0 Kudos
old man
Senior Contributor

I agree completely. This country will be different in 20 years

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

The good jobs haven't gone overseas...they have evaporated.  No one in a textile milll or clothing sweatshop in Sri Lanka is being given helathcare benefits, for heaven's sake.  Once the unions are broken, which is in  progress as we speak, the middle class in America is over. 

0 Kudos
k-289
Senior Advisor

Do a comparison of your grocery expenditures the last 5 years - it's not rocket science in wonderment of the increase in foodstamp usage - maybe we should pass a law that if you get assistance you can't have an electronic device --- maybe with China owning a large portion of the pork supply we could get cheaper pork ay Walmart ---

0 Kudos
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Yeah, and here`s the funny thing, supposedly Democrats and Republicans can`t agree on "water being wet"  but they all agree on NAFTA, it  was pushed by Bill Clinton, Bob Dole and Rush Limbaugh.  Flash forward to today and 0bama and John McCain and the Farm Bureau couldn`t be any more for free trade.  Actually the only businessman in the 2008 race, Mitt Romney was the only one with the brains to mention the need for fairer trade, just like when businessman Ross Perot knew there`d be a "sucking sound" (and he was of course right), businesspeople inherently know this.