cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Advisor

Re: The price of farmland

Last fall when I went to Ag Credit to make a payment I remarked to the manager that farmers were probably really paying things off.  He said "I dunno, they seem to be borrowing more than ever."

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

The farm that I bought in 1964 cost me 22 ounces of gold at $32.00 an ounce.

Today, at even $1000.00 an ounce for gold, that land should sell for $22,000.00.

It would not bring that much

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Yes, but are you considering the nearly 1/2 century of income it produced. My dad inherited a farm in the early 1930s It was valued at $100 per acre and more than that owed on it. Today my 95 year old mother is still drawing cash rent on that property at over double the original value every year.

I like to read your comments. Keep them coming.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I was only trying to show the relationship of gold and the price of this farm.

This does not mean that the price of land is too high today.

I realize that I made a very good living off this farm. My daughter and son-in-law still do.

And I wouldn't sell it for then the tax man cometh and their livelihood would be gone

It only shows what inflation can do to values, as this ground is no better today than when my parents bought it, even if yields are greater

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

And if I died tomorrow and Uncle Sam valued it in terms of my previous post, my children would have to sell it just to pay the death taxes (estate tax)

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Not many calories to be had out of gold---

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

But gold can be used to buy calories

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Yeah only 5 million exempt. You could adopt me and I would borrow to pay the tax. Heh heh.

0 Kudos
Advisor

How do you make change when handed a gold bar?

0 Kudos