cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

Re: Those times when the obvious hits you in the head....

Packard27,   I fully agree...... to a large degree........... Sports is now the "show"..... has long been community entertainment that should not be part of or listed on a school budget.  

But you let off the gas just as you were approaching the truth...........

Parents are still the fools who run their kids out there for the glory and the limp.  The uggliest side of sports and being the total fools we are, we share it with both genders(we have proved that females are not as smart as we thought.  Parenting is  the career job that is far too easy to attain, and most are not qualified.  Since we don't allow children to attain work skills until their in their 20's, maturity has been pushed well into the 40's.  

College and pro is the student selling his own physical abilities for either a degree from somewhere he couldn't afford(like power 5 conferences) or the promise of a payday in the future.  Or maybe just the pride factor of, "I aint gonna quit till I'm disabled."  Football is insane at the college level.  The horror stories just don't get told -- colleges with criminals that leave bad scars and death occasionally(my small college had a student beat to death with a baseball bat from  a football team member, pain killer abuse, steroid abuse, much of which is personal choice for foolish glory sake .  Not because football is bad, but because we pay coaches to win and the $$$ it generates for the budget.  Administraters decide it is worth the pain of a non disciplined program instead of the best person we recruit the best athlete------- there are not enough high integrity players out there to fund all the teams on the field. ............ we won't pay to see a team of merit scholars that loose.  

Last of all, we have deteriated more than half the high schools districts in the country to day care that does not prepare any students for college accademics or the mental toughness of college athletics.   If a 13 year old with big physical skills shows up at one of these a college coach will get him a scholarship to a private school where he can be "prepared" for a college program.  His chances of making it to a university are slim unless he takes the gift.  It is not a measure of how corrupt college coaches are (or booster clubs) it is a measure of how bad our public schools have become in poor communities that make up much of the population of students in the US.  Most of which are not qualified for Junior college or trade school when they are handed a diploma.  Many cant read well or understand the sciences.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Why don`t they decouple sports from the institutions of learning?  (we all know the answer, the question is rhetorical)  If Iowa City and Ames and other college towns want a semi-pro sports team, entrepreneurs can start a team and build a stadium out of THEIR pocket and recruit players from 2,000 miles away to play on their team....what, that wouldn`t work?  Oh really?   Well, why saddle that with the institution of learning on the tuition costs then?  Smiley Happy

Back when Ronald Reagan played football at a college a few miles away from his hometown against other schools of local kids, it was a different time.    But I realize I will be labeled a heretic for daring to bring it up.   Smiley Happy 

Veteran Advisor

Preparing  them  for  their  Doctorate,  in  sports  journalism  -   -   -

0 Kudos