cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jim Meade / Iowa City
Senior Advisor

Thoughts On Corn-Bean Rotation

The chart in this Universtiy of Illiinois study caught my eye.

It says that corn after corn is $39 less than corn after beans, but soybeans after 2d year corn are $53 more than after one year of corn.

Does that mean that a corn-corn-bean rotation might be as good or better than a corn-soybean rotation?  Of course there are a lot of agronomic and cash flow issues involved in that, but I had never seen this particular relationship before and wonder if it is something I ought to think about.

I put it here because it is a whole-farm business topic, certainly nothing about Marketing and really not so much about Crop Production. I hope it's home is OK.

http://farmdocdaily.illinois.edu/2015/09/revised-2015-corn-and-soybean-return-estimates.html

Sorry, I'm not good at inserting the graphics.  It's a one-two page document and easy to read and see, if you'd like to check it out quick.

Note, I'm not talking so much about whether the basics are right as I am about what it says about the crop rotation.

What do you think?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
westernia80
Senior Contributor

Re: Thoughts On Corn-Bean Rotation

I started out my farming career with that type of rotation by in the early 2000's.  My problem was I wanted to No Till and corn on corn no till did not work well for me, unlike notilling into bean stubble.  When the corn price sky rocketed I started back to corn on corn and discing but never liked it much.  It did seem like the beans were better after multiple years of corn than on the 50-50 rotated ground, although I had no proof of this.  Just a feeling.

0 Kudos
buckfarmer
Senior Contributor

I tried it a few years. And yes beans seemed better. And in my climate and my soil the corn seemed just as good as 50/50. For me the problem was logistics. It was more corn, acres and bushels, than I could store, haul, even get harvested with my old small equipment.
0 Kudos
Jim Meade / Iowa City
Senior Advisor

Well, you guys have given me something to think about.  It would be easy for me to do this rotation and it would fit in with some other things that are going on.  I'm definitely going to give it some thought.

Thanks very much for the useful and thoughtful feedback.

0 Kudos
buckfarmer
Senior Contributor

I would probably try it again if I had an additional 30K bushel on farm storage.
0 Kudos
Red Steele
Veteran Advisor

A good compromise is the CCBCB rotation......60% corn,and a two year corn back to back to break up soybean disease.

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

Jim,

Strip til makes the corn on corn year work good

The price of beans may also encourage the change... as well.

0 Kudos
ECIN
Senior Advisor

I have to question that this info is a mis print - there's no way that if I had corn after corn here in Indana that it would be 39 bucks less - first thing here - is corn after corn takes 30 more units of N that corn behind beans - and no I'm not useing any bean credits from residue -  Then we are more prone to have disease issues unless useing a high disease package corn . But then again it from Illinois - which is much like Iowa = Home of the pretend farmers = where they throw out 6 seeds and 9 come up and make 300 bpa Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
buckfarmer
Senior Contributor

Hey Ken, you touched on something I wish someone would research in my climate. I'm a a good bit southeast of you. I used the same N the second year and usually had better corn the second year. I think it is because I inject my sidedressed N pretty deep. And whatever is left is still available the early part of the second year. However any been N is near the surface which gets lost with the warmer winter weather we have.
0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

ken I think the 39$ less is the gross income amount

0 Kudos