cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Veteran Advisor

Tire repair

Had pu tire fixed, nothing special...$15 plus tax.
How much is everyone else being stuck ?
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Honored Advisor

Re: Tire repair

I do my own tire fixing, expecpt when I buy new and or needs balancing. But on a light pickup, just put a plug in it. $15 is the going rate though uptown. The price isn't so bad as the time you kill waiting for them to do it.
0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

We do all our own tire repairs, decent tire machine and breakdown tools for truck tires the only thing we dont have is a bead breaker for tractor tires but I usually just do the hard work and break them by hand. Saved countless dollars and as BA says a lot of time and sometimes can't even get them fixed till Monday. We've done literally thousands of repairs in the neighborhood. Just fixing a truck tire now. The patches and glue and buffer and all that costs pennies per repair.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Yep, anymore plugs, and cold patch
...yes the day of the monkey patch and
Boots are gone.
0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

I'm paying close to $20 for a simple repair, but that is when I take it in and they do the mount/dismount and all.  It's getting hard to find general mechanics who want to fool with tire repair around here.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

No, I don`t think tire repair business are a get rich quick scheme, they have to probably combine with oil changes, mufflers and brakes to stay wall-to-wall busy.   But there`s liability too, they put on your invoice "retorque lugnuts after 25 miles" I`m sure to cover their behind a little. 

These aluminum wheels can be a PITA, you get a flat and they can be impossible to remove without ruining the wheel.  Then the center dish is so tight on the hub these days, the manufacturers get by with cheap studs (made in Mexico no doubt) the nuts will often strip out.  I would hate to deal with that crap everyday.   But a guy should see if the wheels come off and smear anti-seize dope on them before you have to in the middle of the night in a pouring rainstorm. 

0 Kudos