cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Tolerance question

Friday morning on her way to work at sevenish, my daughter saw a car parked on the store lot where I have my workshop and our workout space.   So, likely parked ther ein the night Thursday night. 

Not unusual, as the store is on a very open, paved corner lot, on a busy state highway.  People pull in all the time, making cell calls, checking a load in the pickup body, etc.  You have to expect that, with such a clean and easily-accessed place to pull over, halfway between two villages that are twelve mikles apart. 

Was still there later in the day Friday, when I drove out to run some errands.  It is a nice white car, and when I pulled in to see what was up with it, I saw a white rag on the side mirror, which is the sign of distress.  Figured they would be back Saturday morning, to pick it up. 

Sitting close enough to the building to block me from backing my truck up to the bay doors...and I do have some work I wanted to do up there this weekend.  

When it was still there anout 10:30, I noted the license plate number, and called the non-emergency line to the sheriff's department, to ask them to contact the owner, to please get it off by Saturday night.  They identified the owner, and called the police in their hometown, about a half-hour away. 

It was still there after dark last night, when Mike and I came in from a big date night - supper out and a couple of errand stops.  I need to load up my stuff that has to go up there this afternoon, and hesitate to haul a load if it is still in the way up there.  I hope it is gone, but I sort of doubt it. 

Here's my question for you:  How long would you let a vehicle sit like that, on your land and in your way, before you had it towed? 

Two days was to me a reasonable limit. 

0 Kudos
23 Replies
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: Tolerance question

When my car broke down on the Interstate,a  sticker was put on it.  The sticker informed me, that I had 24 hours to tow the car.

Also, when I was doing fall field work,  a truck (for a hunter)  parked in the only driveway to the field I was in.  I had to call a tow truck to move it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

It was still there at three o'clock this afternoon, moved and backed up right in front of one of my bay doors.  I called our sheriff's department again, and the dispatcher had the note from yesterday, said she would call the town police department once more. 

I told her to inform them that if it is still there Monday morning, they will have a tow fee and impound to pay.  If they could start it and move it tioghter to the building, they could have gotten it off of the place. 

I've been busy for the past three hours, doing a bit of yardwork, so haven't checked again.  When I am done  with the office work I have to finish for a few minutes, I may ride up and check it out again. 

Thnaks for the input...I feel sort of put-upon, and wondered if I was just being too touchy about it being there, in my way. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

If I didn't know the people, I would not be very crazy about the vehicle because it's presence is an excuse for strangers to be hanging around.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

That , too, Jim.  When I called the dispatcher on Saturday, who is a woman I know form our girls being in high school together for five years, she said, "I hope they don't break into your building." 

There is a regular epidemic of theft in the county now, from what she said.  As the sheriff's dispatcher, she should know.  It would be really dumb to do that, with the license plate on record at the sheriff's office now, I would hope. 

Miek and I haev agreed to see if it is still there after my second call.  I plan to call a guy we know who does wrecker service, if so..  The owner can pay him to get it back. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

A few years back, the county mowing crew parked a tractor/mower combo in the MIDDLE of the ONLY driveway into a former farmstead site that I own.  There would have been plenty of space to park within the farmstead lot,and I wouldn't have minded a bit; but parking in the MIDDLE of the drive negated my ability to enter the location and to access buildings, and cattle.

To further complicate things, it was Memorial Day weekend, and the rig was parked there over a three/day weekend.

I left a note stuck to the windshield advisng them that they were MORE than welcome to park on the lot, but blocking the driveway had caused me some difficulties in accessing the buildings and cattle thereon.

No problems lately.   KenJ

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Kay, you have been MORE than tolerant.  If it had been me, I would have tolerated things much like you, except that once the owner was contacted, and they moved the car to be MORE in your way, that would have been the trigger that got the tow truck called.

I can remember a few years back, when we were helping my sister shingle her house.  We had taken dad's old single-axle grain truck out there, parked it right by the roof, and threw the old shingles in it.  I drove out to her driveway, and realized I forgot the shingle dumping permit my sister had purchased for the landfill, just as I was hitting the street. I backed up her drive enough to not block the sidewalk, and ran back in the house to get it.  I guess I should have left the nose of the truck all but in the street, and not worried about blocking the sidewalk, because a lady parked her car, in the aproach to a private driveway, in front of a truck with an idling engine, right next to a 'do not block driveway' sign!

Well, my sister lives near the post office, so we assumed someone had a package or mail to drop off/pick up, so we waited a few minutes.  Then we went in the post office.  No one there.  We then flagged down a patrolman driving by (small town, we knew the guy, and he ran the plates for us.  Looked the name up in the phone book, and a confused man answered, saying that his wife took the car, to drive to a DENTIST APPOINTMENT, down the street!  We didn't know what to do, we didn't want to just have it towed, but good grief, the truck was in the drive, pointing out, with the motor running.  Officer John said, don't worry, the lady is known for blocking drives, and he'll take care of it.  In about 2 minutes, a growly-looking lady said 'sorry for blocking the driveway' and moved the car.  Officer John, came back just before we left, with an onery grin, and said she proably won't do that again.  It seems he went into the dentist's office, confirmed with the receptionist that the lady was in there, and then said in a loud voice "This is officer number xxx with the city police department, and the driver of the white Cutlass, license plate xx-xxxx has 5 minutes to move their car, or it is going to be towed.  Thank you.

He said the image of the lady running past him, with a mouth full of cotton, and the bib still on gave him the best laugh he had in a long time.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

It appears to me..that the car really wasn't disabled. So in effect, I believe whomever parked it there was committing a "theft of opportunity"..by using your property without your permission. You've been more than tolerant. I've had guys park trucks in the middle of fields when going hunting on our property without permission. I always wanted to just take a backhoe down..dig a four foot wide trench around them..and leave, just to see how they'd get their truck out.....

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Funny story...there IS a type that expects to have this privilege, evidently. 

Daughter reported it was still there, backed up to one of the bays, this morning.  Day FOUR.

Mike and I had agreed last night to call a guy who does some of our auto maintenance, to ask him about doing the tow-away, if it was still there. He said he does it all the time, and to call the sheriff to make sure it was okay, then call him back.

The dispatcher said the owner had been contacted by his city police, and he told them that the car was broken down.  I told her that I felt if they were able to move it  Saturday night or Sunday morning, and put it even MORE in my way, then they could have at least moved it off to the side of the building, out of the way.  She informed me that i had a right to have it towed. 

It's gone now.  The tow truck owner called me, and I called the sheriff to let them know whose garage it is located at, and not to come back onto the property. 

Now, it will cost them at least $150 to get it back, plus $35 a day for the storage fee.  It was sporting a couple thousand dollars' worth of fancy rims, so I am sure they can afford it. 

0 Kudos