cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Advisor

Trade Means Jobs

A statement by  V.P. Mike Pence, stated according to a Fox News story in July of 2014 --- Pence  encouraged  President Obama to ratify the  T P P , and stated trade makes security ---

Will his position hold merit in today's discussion of these issues in 2018 business - political climate ?  

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Honored Advisor

Re: Trade Means Jobs

Of course "trade means jobs" but for who and at what cost?   I know I`ve been in rooms full of windup monkeys that clap their tambourines together everytime that trade is mentioned, but they have no idea what they`re clapping for.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

The comparison of jobs in Mexico and china over the last few years is a much better response of jobs vs trade than in the US.  

Lets remember we are exporting an economy.  They are exporting goods and services(like building your transponder)---there is a difference in their effect on jobs.

So one has to take the globalist point of view to believe that..... So I would assume that is the framework that Pence was discussing.

but 289 ------ nice memory work..... that is why I put charts up covering one year........ to encourage me to remember that far back.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Robots and automation will bring jobs back to the US as it costs the same for a machine in Asia as it does here, but the transportation is cut out.  This will be even more the case as individual "one-off" products are made.  Like send in the measurements and have economical, affordable custom shirts or shoes, maybe in a shot in your home town or at least your home state..

What do all countries, including the US, do with low skill level workers replaced by automation?  Self check-out will kill the clerk at the gas station one of these days.  

The whole idea of jobs and economy and trade ischanging in front of our eyes.  I hope our grandchildren are ready for it.

0 Kudos
Advisor

Jim, some think tanks are contemplating the impact that automaton will have in jobs and they ask the question what to do with all of these people. Whether one is liberal or conservative, this dilemma will confound both sides. One thought is to provide everyone a fixed income. Go chew on that one. Or, do you kill them? 😲
0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

BA   -  was  this  at  an  event  in  Tennessee  ?  Just  curious ---

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

image.png

0 Kudos
Advisor

Good one!  Our elderly German/Russian ancestors said something similar in their dialect, "To soon alte, to late schmart."

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Smokey -  my  grandfathers favorite Smiley Wink

0 Kudos