cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wt510151
Senior Contributor

Re: Transition From USPO Because Of Shutdown?

The website is pretty explanatory. You pay online for the postage and fees. You print the complete address label on your printer. Either use clear packing tape to secure the label or buy the sticky labels for printing. The carrier gets notified at the post office to come to your door on the day you specify for pickup. They will leave you a receipt of their pickup with you. You can get packaging on the site too.

The reason that has been told up why the post office local numbers haven't been included in the phone book is so our work isn't interrupted by calls for business hours and zip code lookups that can be handled by computers. Still, if you ask your carrier for the phone number, he may give it to you. 

0 Kudos
dairy mom
Senior Contributor

it is time to make our monthly Federal Tax deposit payment.  But with the shut down I'm waiting till the last minute to do it this month.  Not exactly sure it will go through correctly and get credited correctly with the government shut down.  Use to do it through the bank but is now electronic.  But either way I think the shut down would be a concern.

We do as little on line as possible.  Husband is very skeptical of online security.  He really likes to be able to hold things in his hand.

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

The "shut down" is mostly for show and media purposes.  I would advise not missing deadlines for payroll deposits.  the IRS is not on vacation.

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Again, thanks for the info.  I can see where it might slow down sorting and such to answer phone calls, but there could be a menu with choices to play for service hours and other such set information.  Most retailers have that on the store number at the local store now.  

The need to have a printer and electronic mode of payment might eliminate some users.  For me, not a problem, but some of the other logistics certainly are question marks in my mind, as to comparative convenience.

My carrier comes around two p.m. on weekdays.  Our box is at the roadside, a quarter- mile from the house.  Since  I cannot call ahead to ask for a box, I guess I would meet him one day to ask for it, and a second day to take it from him, since it wouldn't fit in my box.  Third day, I guess he picks it up.  I do not have a postal scale...?

In comparison, the whole transaction takes maybe three minutes in the UPS store.  As much as I like Tommy, our mailman, it Is just not likely that I would go that far to send off a package via USPS.   

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Honestly, I would rather post the payment as soon as possible.  Mine was scheduled to hit October 1,  and when I looked at my online banking yesterday, it had been made.  It is better to be ahead than behind with 943 or other withholdings.  .

0 Kudos
wt51015
Senior Contributor

Just like with everything else on the farm, you usually have to have supplies on hand. Again, you can also order the packaging off the site or get the phone number (and save it). You can also use regular boxes for sending items, just as long as you weigh them. You can use a bathroom scale if you so choose. Sending is easy too, You can have your carrier pick it up, as I said, or drop it off at a post office. It all depends on how many packages you send and if it is worth the difference to go to a UPS store and pay a higher price for a similar service. Some of us don't have one that handy as our post office is.

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

I generally re-pack in an amazon box.  Lots of air bags come in those with most orders.  The company that re-mans my controllers has its own label printout function, depending upon whether you choose physical or PO address. 

I have evolved a sort of pattern of habits about stuff like this, and you understnad that I may be hesistant to change.  If I hve to delay leaving to hit by a PO when they happen to be open, that isn't good for me, because my timing is usually pretty tight when I go off-farm. 

I guess convenience, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. 

0 Kudos