cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Trucking is hot

That's the take from a report out fromt he American Trucking Association this week. We've heard from economist David Kohl that as the trucking industry goes, so goes both the ag sector and the macroeconomy. If that's the case, we could be on our way out of the funk -- ATA says based on tonnage, the trucking industry had a good 2011 and a great December 2011. The latter was up almost 7% from the previous month, and for the year, trucks hauled 2/3 of the nation's freight, about 9 billion tons. That's for for-hire trucks. 

Have you noticed more for-hire trucking in your neck of the woods, especially with grain and cattle and any other ag freight? 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Contributor

Re: Trucking is hot

Jeff we farm in southeast Michigan and also have a trucking company. There is trucking but on some of  the freight it is so cheap that they are doing it to say they are working. Between  fuel and tires and insurance and the enforcement officers. I rather on some of it to let the trucks sit.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Jeff,

Could be missleading use of data.   December is always an increase from previous months-----the holiday season.

BuTTTTTTTTT, Trucking will get better when we try to figure out the logistics of  haulin' crude oil north and south on a train. Smiley Happy

Rates are pretty tough out here as well.  Lots working, always is in the sw.  But rates are tough with these fuel prices.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

I do know it is taking longer to schedule a trucker to come here and haul anything.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

This info can be analyzed in several ways and as numbers go in compared to previous years or quarters.  ATA have numbers of freight volumes that are tracked on little bit different scale than say ag freight and compared to a scale from  2008  or  2009 disastrous numbers---these numbers probably apply and for general dry freight which would include holiday shopping events in November and December---I think I would examine the ""Fed's statement"" yesterday and sway my decision on that a little more than ATA banner headline---Dr. Kohl meetings are always pretty good and he does do on the ground running analysis like eating a meal at a truckstop and listening to the general chatter coming from the every day folks of the working public--- His statement about waves of   ""market volatility ""   probably sticks in my mind the most  --- on the lighter side one could say the volume of distiller co-products has tripled compared to 5 years ago---

0 Kudos