cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
elcheapo
Senior Advisor

Trump ag advisors

i see were trump has selected his ag advisors.........................

oh $%^! !!

are we in trouble !!

I see we have brownback in there.....he has made a utter disaster of kansas........and he's going to say what's

wrong, and how things should be fixed...........

i'm at a loss for words.......

24 Replies
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Re: Trump ag advisors

Oh, we in farming (I didn`t say "agriculture") are   $%^!! !ed, regardless who gets in and we are our own worst enemies. We always have and always been, "this time" probably worse because there`s so much more money put into farming and too many are happy to do it for the fun as their only "payment".    If your livelihood has become a "hobby" or a "tax write-off" , I suppose a smart person would sell out and rent out his land to a dummy that has more access to capital than he does brains   🙂

But those I`ve heard on Donald Trump`s advisory crew are big time free traders, hopefully President Trump will cherrypick any advice that he takes from them.  Agricultural products seem to be a pawn in the free trade game, as US factories move out and have moved out over the last 30 years.  "they" can point to the positive balance of trade in agriculture....yah but, farm products are small potatoes, you could buy all 100% of the corn, beans and wheat produced in the US for $100 billion yet our annual trade deficit is $700 billion....do the math on that.  And we`re a net importer of beef...."the world is flat".

Jim Meade / Iowa City
Senior Advisor

Ag products are emblematic of the proposition that you can't build borders forever.  AT some stage, globalization is a fact.  If not for one country, then for everyone else.  Want to be North Korea?  The pre-wall Rumania, Bulgaria?  No, I kind of like to eat apricots in February, even if they come from Chile.

All of us bought large round balers and gave up on haying crews 50 years ago.  All of us want to sell our grain and livestock all over the world.  And, we're happy to eat Argentine grass-fed beef at MacDonalds because it's cheap, so we like it on that end, too.  We are globalizers at heart and the sooner we learn to live wtih it the sooner we will do the things that optimize our place in it.  

As farmers who are intrinsically global, we have to lead the way.  Not that it is easy.  In any event, the discussion on ag globalization like on most other topics is not fun so most people avoid it and then complain when things don't work out.

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Farm products are the one "bright spot" in the balance of trade, yet most of the time the grains and meats are below our cost of production.  Still the US is a net importer of beef.   If our farm products (below C.O.P) are to be a pawn in the global trade game..why not sacrifice that pawn?  Put tariffs on I-Phones and Levis jeans and Samsung tvs and the money saved in not having to prop up a below cost of production enterprize.  Bring back a set-a-side program, gov`t owned reserve, direct payments and LDPs.   The foreigners only buy from us when it`s cheap anyway, that would make more sense than this facade of 'market oriented agriculture", there is no such thing.

I don`t want to be North Korea or any other country including Venezuala or China that is cleaning our clock in trade.

0 Kudos
elcheapo
Senior Advisor

i guess i'll say a couple more things....first, after thinking about it, how un-christian it was to say what

i said about our gov....as christians, we are to be good to each other...remember give good measure,

pressed and shaken down....

so....we should share our good luck to have such a governor, so we should share him with other people,

and let them have him for a few months....or since we have been so blessed...they could have him for

a few years !!!!

oh...global trade....only problem.......the winners of that game is the least cost producer.......we are

one of the higher cost....so we loose.

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

I just left a discussion on labeling as it pertains to beef....

Now I see a discussion on labeling as it pertains to Brownback....

Wish our kansas teachers union could find a way to improve education that is as affective as its political labeling campaigns.

Education in Ks has declined directly in proportion to the amount of $$$$ spent on education increases...

Anyway it doesn't seem to be that bad of a choice for an advisor.....  But then again maybe someone named Kassebaum is still out there .... 🙂

0 Kudos
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

FWIW Elcheapo, I didn`t think you said anything unChristian.  I don`t know much about Kansas and I wouldn`t know Governor Brownback if I met him on the street.  All I know is liberals don`t like Brownback...so he must be a pretty good guy  🙂

Okay, Kansas you got wheat, cattle, oil wells and what`s left of Cessna airplanes after the HW Bush luxury tax.  You guys had drought down there, mama cows had to be sold, wheat has been cheap and oil has been cheap this Brownback has had alot of challenges.  Previous Governor Kathleen Sebelius must`ve really screwed up the state if Brownback hasn`t straightened it out yet.

But with trade, if it`s a bad deal you got to walk away, not take every "deal" that comes our way.   I don`t think any of us conduct our personal business that way, we walk away if it`s a bad deal.  And maybe that means going to a government set-aside...look I like this Farm Bureau fantasy as much as everyone about "getting our price from the market" , but we can`t plant every acre every year and swing for the bleachers on yield and then be surprised that we have burdensome supplies and below Cost of Production prices. 

That bending the paperclip back and forth will eventually break.  Either we have hands off and Darwin survival of the fittest or we have a (it has to be) government run set-aside payments and such...but with strict payment limitations so the big guys don`t just get bigger at the expense of the taxpayers.  

This middle of the road baloney is ridiculous of ARC or PLC...what kind of demons from the depths of hell dreamt up that crap?

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

thanks BA  --- SEbeelieous was the name I was looking for .........  She can be here on the four oclock broom....

0 Kudos
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Smiley Very Happy  4 o`clock broom.  That ol` rip was big on pushing socialized medicine.

So, what state are you in SW, Oklahoma?

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

Look we take the bait every time.....

Keep in mind that we have only harvested one crop since we were living on a 15 day supply ........sooooo what happened.......

I am thinking the US economy collapsed this summer and we haven't got any news of it this far west yet.  No coal to feed the locomotives.  And the whole world stopped eating in April....

Or the political campaign sucked up all the loose grocery cash.

Maybe lottery tickets got approved for food stamps.

Think how hard it must be these days to keep a Foundation funded.  Even with free transportation...

Times are tough...

----------------------------------------

But lets be constructive......

What could turn this market around.....

A new attraction enhancing drug made from propane fried wheat gluten.  

15% alcohol, 0 calorie, drink made from bunker wheat that tastes like fried chicken.

euphoric nonsense creating wheat gum 

or a sickness created by eating too much raw wheat out of the bunker that qualifies you for government paid dissability for life..

go for it.

But what would be wrong expecting a 6 month supply of each commodity on hand to prepare us for a bad year...not available to the market, yet farmer owned....

Or pay food stamps, child care, etc. in commodity exchange.  

0 Kudos