cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sw363535
Honored Advisor

Re: Trump ag advisors

even though we had one presidential candidate that doesn't live off the public dole the last two elections, we are reaching a point where we would rather give to politics than buy food???

China rejected wheat that originated from the volga river region??

GMO is so good it generates triple the calories from the same slice of bread made from the wheat stored in the same bin the next year??

Chipotle's new world population reducing menu was wildly successful?

Soilent Green has finally caught on since its introduction in 1984???

It's April Fools year?? .... not to be confused with a Presidential Election year,, though very, very , very similar........

Storing seeds on the ground creates a vegitative state in the consumer??

Public assistance has a homing device that sucks it all back to a political cause before it can be spent on food in an election year?

They learned how to make beer and breakfast cereal from sea weed?  

Those "too religous" new congress persons have been praying for abundance again?

Steve Jobs isn't here to tell the masses to buy??

A dog in california was hit by a bread truck??

help me here, because the truth may be very disturbing(like we lost control of our price discovery tool and it is now in the hands of synister forces that know where Jimmy Hoffa is burried----- or control the worlds food supply -- or the internet )  or just profit on the trade>>>??

0 Kudos
smokeyjay
Advisor

Who?  You all did!  Stop the blaming someone else for making up the rules!  Corn, beans wanted ARC.  Southwest Council on Agriculture and southern states wanted PLC. Peanuts got the gravy train and cotton got their STAX. If you are a member of these groups, you did!

0 Kudos
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

I don`t recall being asked what kind of farm bill that I wanted, to be honest at that time I was riding high on the hog with $7 corn and would`ve said "git the government out of out of farming!"  ...I still say that, but we have to follow their stupid rules and pretend to go along with their "climate change" garbage and our tax bills don`t get any cheaper; so I suppose if we can get a nickel out of the government, we`d better take it.

But there was meeting after meeting explaining the ARC and PLC...if "we wrote it" why did it have to be explained to us?  And many of us still don`t understand it, the payments are always 1 year behind and decline down as prices tank...farmers wouldn`t purposely concoct such a stupid program, we like things simple. 

With wheat prices lowest since the depression and burdsome supplies and corn and beans headed in the same direction...unless we want to see farm sales and this time, outside money coming in to snap up bargains.  We should perhaps swallow our pride and go with a supply management program.  Maybe it`s too late, there wouldn`t be public support for a farm bill that costs would be similar to past programs.

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

Nor were we told that when either paid they would only pay in half the counties.....?    sometimes next to each other ...

Seems like the whole complicated thing is written to hide the fact that the purpose is to see that no matter what the federal obligation is cut in half.  And there is no accountability to the formula...  Not even an fsa employee can explain the process.

even the LDP formula became complicated.  Today with a loan rate of 3,05 for wheat in this county the LDP was 43 cents and the elevator price was 2.58.  Doesn't really add up does it?

Unexplainable!!   That is what we should call this farm Bill.

0 Kudos
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

The only thing understandable about it is that it promotes over production/cheap food, which results in farmers burning their own hard earned equity to stay in business.    You know, if farmers actually did become good marketers and got close to parity prices, this country would be in a world of hurt.

0 Kudos
k-289
Esteemed Advisor

SW  &  Others

Options Going  Forward

Hire '''' Heather Bresch ''''  from  Mylan  to  run  grain  and  livestock  marketing  -  check off  board---

Hire  ''''  Martin  Sckreli  ''''   as  back  up ----.

OR  reinvigorate  the   N F O  -    WOW   how 547 days , things change ---

Exciting  time  in AG 

0 Kudos
smokeyjay
Advisor

Stupid is as stupid does. If you are a member of a commodity group, you had ample opportunity to tell your lobbyists what you wanted. And don't give me the KISS principle crap.  Nothing is simple, when you have to satisfy a half dozen commodity groups. 

0 Kudos
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Smokey, all sorts of big business wrote the farm bill, from the AARP to the Grocers Association, American Bankers Association, Monsanto, DuPont and the biggy The US CHAMBER OF COMMERCE all had their paw prints all over this Farm Bill.  As I say if farmers can`t understand this farm bill, how the hell did they write it???

http://www.thegazette.com/article/20140731/ARTICLE/140739946

0 Kudos
smokeyjay
Advisor

You haven't a clue. I, along with hundreds of farmers of commodity groups helped put the farm bill together, along with House and Senate Ag members and staff. What a naive thought that others wrote it. Where's your proof?  I was there. 

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

Same as every farm bill for the last 30+ years. The majority of the functional details were written by Usda personnel well after the passage.
0 Kudos