cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

UAS over your farm

The general consensus of those following the development of Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS), sometimes called unmanned aerial vehicls (UAV) or drones, is that they will have a presence in American skies in the foreseeable future.  There are numerous stories to that effect in the aviation and popular press.

One question raised is that of privacy.  What happens when papparazzi get drones?  Are they the terror of every celebrity they choose to stalk?  What happens when PETA gets drones?  Do they fly over every CAFO and processing facility looking for images they can call violations?

Some of these UAV are very small.  They may be operated by battery power and be nearly silent and virtually invisible.  Will they take pictures of you spraying your field to be sure you stay away from creeks and tile inlets? 

It seems like there is a lot of room for development of new standards and laws on what UAV are allowed to do.  One thing for sure, when we look up at the heavens, we will never again think of it as a clear blue sky.

0 Kudos
29 Replies
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Re: UAS over your farm

I didn't keep my pilots license up, so haven't been up for a while, but it does bother me and I wonder if us general aviation guys are going to be required to have more advanced instermentation?  

How will we know about the additional traffic in the area?

Will there be flight plans filed on these?  Could be a mess.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Your pilots license never expires but your medical runs out and you have to have one to fly anything very big.  You could go out and fly a J3 Cub right now if you had a flight reveiw within 2 years and you don't need a medical.  But anything of any size takes a current medical. If you did this, you would be flying as a private pilot exercising sport pilot privileges.  There is a lot of info on this if you have a notion to get back in the air just for fun in a two place fixed gear very light airplane.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Right ,, I just havent done a check ride in 15 yrs.

Do you thing the activity of the unmanned will be public flight plans? so we can know about the activity in our area.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Your question is one the FAA is gnawing over right now.  They are suppoed to have a set of new rules in February.  I'm sure the rule s will cause a lot of discussion.

Here's one example of an issue.  President Obama is coming to Cedar Rapids on the 25th.  That means for several hours before and after  his visit, there will be no aviation within 30 nautical miles of the Cedar Rapids airport unless it is under posistive ATC control.  Within 10 nm, there will be a no fly zone.  that means that your airline can probably take off and land with some restricstions but the typical small airplane will be subject to restrictions.

When Obama goes to Hawaii on vacation, he virtually shuts down all the general aviation activity.  Same as when he went to Martha's Vinyard.  These aviation companies can sit on their hands and watch their income go to zero.  So, if you are using UAS on your farm, it's my assumption that the same restrictions would apply to you. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

UAS leads to EPA investigation

An amateur who was flying a UAS tipped off local authorities about pollution from a meat packing plant.

http://www.securitymanagement.com/news/texas-uav-enthusiast-uses-pilotless-aircraft-uncover-river-co... 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Aerial eye for $1000

This outfit thinks they can get a remote controlled helicopter up over your farm for as little as $1000 for a bare system, up to about 2.5K for a fully outfitted one.

http://www.extremetech.com/electronics/115123-affordable-hexacopter-drone-for-aerial-photography 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Re: Aerial eye for $1000

With decent range and camera the price isn't that high.  And it doesn't matter if you're doing anything wrong.  Being a target is easy.  I am afraid.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor

Re: UAS leads to EPA investigation

I was just going to mention this article also.  Perhaps it won't be too long before the Supreme Court has to make a ruling, like they did on GPS tracking of autos by police.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

LA Police warn UAS photographers

LA police have warned real estate agents that using UAS to gather aerial photos may involve violation of federal air space and they also worry that the pilotless planes are flying where police helicopters might fly.

It's hard to know if there is any merit to this.  Airplanes are supposed to not fly closer than 500 feet to any persons or things (I guess spray planes must have an out) so that means they are above 500 feet above ground level (AGL) and RC or model airplanes are allowed to fly at 400 feet an below as long as they are within view of the operator and with some other restrictions.  So, maybe the real estate fliers thought they were legal.  It's not hard to imagine many different interests who might like to take pictures of your farm, possible including your daughters boy friend.  Smiley Happy 

0 Kudos