cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Re: LA Police warn UAS photographers

I am spending a little thought on the possibilities of radar and a small guided missle system in my airspace.  Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Re: LA Police warn UAS photographers

Possibly a dog retrieval followup to retrieve the downed data storage device. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Re: UAS over your farm

The hog industry has suffered over-zealous scrutiny in NC for decades now.  A lot of thta has been aerial, and I am sure it was not meant to make our lives easier. 

I don't know that airspace is sacred in terms of privacy in any way...as a pilot, I'd think you know more about that than the average bear.  If any of us harbor any illusions that anything we do is truly private anymore, I guess this is just one more notice that we are deluded. 

If you are that curious about what your neighbor is doing, I guess that the price is attractive to some.  With increased memory and miniaturization, smaller and cheaper devices, less detectable to the subject of the surveillance, will be constantly available.

We are still adjusting as a society to the fact that almost every cell phone is a video and still camera now.  I am not so sure we are ready to see everything that everyone does. 

A recent family discussion included the mention of the possibility of installation of a "nanny cam" to observe one candidate for childcare.  My point in reply was that if you need to watch someone every minute, you don't trust them to start with...instinct is a real asset we often rationalize ourselves out of listening to...some things you feel and don't need to see. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Congress pushes UAS

A funding bill before Congress calls for military and commercial use of uAS by September 2015.  Earlier ths month, the FAA announced postponement of uAS rules.  This process is almost certainly going to be political and probably will be taken to court because it will affect so many players.  However, the impetus of the present discussion is that UAS will not be an iff but a when proposition.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

Re: Congress pushes UAS

My hope is there will be common sense when the appropriate committees convene on this one.  Respect for privacy is paramount.  Who guarantees that in this age of micro-technology?  The old constitutional guarantee, innocent until proven guilty also is paramount.  Video survelliance will not guarantee a certain verdict.  Concern for what happens when the UAS footage is downloaded rises as it is vulnerable to being edited, not to mention any other potential for misuse that may come up.  I expect someone will test any law in the courts as well.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

We have a perception that there is a right to privacy, but there is no real constitutional basis for it, from what I have come to understand.  My best bet on fighting UAS would be some assertion that the surveillance contitutes a warrantless search, which is prohibited under most circumstances. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

Covert survelliance on your own property is certainly a given.  I understand the need to observe someone like a nanny or other employee.  My challenge is not employees or new employees.  I've used cams to monitor equipment to catch a vandal obsessed with damaging it.  

One might think that airspace should be a part of the right of possession as well, however, I've never read of a test case concerning this.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

A search without a warrant constitutes a violation of the right of privacy.  When an agency requests a warrant for a search, it must have probable cause and more than hearsay, but evidence that suggests a law or laws have been broken.  I.e., police observe a drug buy on the streets outside a home of a suspected dealer, observing the dealer going in and out of the home.  This supports the warrant request to search the house of the suspected dealer.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

How does one even detect a small UAS that can only be the size of a humming bird, or smaller?  It's a potential nightmare that is waiting for the right moment in time, I'm afraid.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Not to be argumentative, but privacy is not constitutionally protected...there is an express prohibition in the Constitution against warrantles searches, I  think.  People have extrapolated that to imply a "right to privacy,": but it is not mentioned in our most seminal document guaranteeing our rights, as far as I understand it..

The erosion of rights under the Patriot Act was deemed dangerous by many constitutional scholars. I think we are about to find out just how much that situation has advanced...and, I doubt many will be very happy about it. 

0 Kudos