cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sw363535
Honored Advisor

University competition in Farming right or wrong

I have thought for years that it was disturbing to have to compete with major education universities in production agriculture, given their tax free status (along with churches that operate huge farming operations as nonprofit status entities).     This story was big a couple of years ago and never brought the backlash I expected...... With the more recent notes of many thousands of acres of vineyards Harvard University has invested in the Central Valley California area.

The hypocrisy of education in the US is just one disturbing aspect of the story.  It is a very interesting read and I wonder If there has been any actual change in the attitude of these Big Farmers who compete world wide et c. etc etc 

I can think of at least 4 lesser universities that compete against farmers in our area.

https://grain.org/article/entries/6006-harvard-s-billion-dollar-farmland-fiasco

Table 1: Top US university endowment funds investing in farmland

Endowment Assets under management ($bn) Current allocation to natural resources ($mn) Farmland locations
University of Texas Investment Management Company 40.3 4,978 Australia, Latin America
Harvard Management Company 36 4,644 Africa, Oceania, Latin America, US
Princeton University Investment Company 21.7 3,625 Unknown
Stanford Management Company 29.1 2,301 Unknown
Yale University Endowment 25.4 2,007 Unknown
University of Michigan Endowment 9.7 700 Unknown
Emory University Endowment 4.6 642 Unknown
University of Pennsylvania Endowment 10.7 642 Unknown
0 Kudos
5 Replies
k-289
Senior Advisor

Re: University competition in Farming right or wrong

Investment  Fund   Managers  being  one  conversation  piece ,  where  individual , small  amounts  of  ca$h  are  heaped  into  a  portfolio ,  with  individuals  having  an  absolute  ""  no  say "" in  the  direction  or  intent - - -       

0 Kudos
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

I had no idea universities were that deeply invested in farmland.  I thought back in the day the local high school had 17 acres of scrub ground they let the FFA use as a test plot.  A local BTO offered a senior a case of beer if he could convince the ag teacher to let him rent it...yes, for "17 acres" and further corrupting a already corrupt minor  Smiley Happy 

Churches in the area are willed farms from estates, the smart ones auction it off.  The brave church councils rent it out, usually to a non-member of their congregation to avoid the can of worms  Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

I thought it was a land grant issue........ but in ks your more likely to be competing with kU than ksu.

Those Ivy League rich tearing out the Brazil landscape is a telling picture of our progressive leadership and their condemnation of every gun owner or commercial fertilizer applicator.

0 Kudos
k-289
Senior Advisor

Remember , we  are  reminded  daily of  the  starvation  factor  down  the  road  in  2050  -

with  NUVEEN - TIIA - KREF being the largest foreign investor in Brazil  299,025  ha  -

according to Chain Reaction Research  - - -

What  is  the  conversation  on  J B S  holdings in the US , concerning  formulated , captive  supply  of  livestock , with contract  feeders - and  or  W H Group  of  ( Smithfield )  of  so called Virginia - keep in mind,  corporations are people 2, say the un-progressive Supreme Court of USA  regarding  Citizens United  - - - 

0 Kudos
k-289
Senior Advisor

Reminds  us  of  a  N W-  Iowa  farmer  investors  made  a  $26,000,000 investment  on 23,000  acres  in  western Bahia Brazil 15 years ago  -  -  -   

0 Kudos