cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

Used Tractor Tires

Question for all, but especially for the Kansas contributors.  Since I took over management of the farm last year, I'm attempting to clean the yard up just to make it more presentable and make room for future improvements.  I've got outlets for mostly all of the trash or junk I'm wanting to discard with the exception of about 10 or 12 used rear tractor tires.  Does anyone know someplace that will take them?  I will gladly pay the fees involved with the proper disposal of them.

0 Kudos
19 Replies
farmerguy89
Advisor

Re: Used Tractor Tires

The dump my man.
Lol
0 Kudos
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

I didn't think the county landfill accepted tires, that's why I didn't contact them.  Maybe worth a call.

0 Kudos
clayton58
Veteran Advisor

I take it they are not usable?  The older sizes (34" even 38" or smaller) are hard to come by esp for someone who does not to buy new for a tractor they have but don't use much.  retired farmers, small acreage people in the country, etc.  If they have any life in them you might find someone who needs a tire.  Otherwise check with the landfill, or a tire dealer.

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Many local landfills/ transfer stations have tire acceptance policies, but most handle car and light truck tires. Even tore dealers don't want to move the tractor ones, from my experience. They have to pay to get the, gone.

Couple of thoughts: call your county solid waste number, and ask. If it's a big farming area, they may handle tractor tires, too. Other uses might include placing them as erosion control structures. I have known some folks who wanted them for raised garden beds, but moving them is a B.

Your Extension office should have the answer, or be able to get it for you. Your state dept. of ag may offer guidance. Your state's solid waste department can answer all recycling questions...and tires are recycled for many uses now...these biguns are just harder to split, I think.
0 Kudos
buckfarmer
Senior Contributor

I make cattle feeders out of my old tires. I cut one sidewall out then bolt treated 2x6's on the other to make a solid bottom. They are real nice to just grab with the loader and move to another location when it gets muddy. Not that you have mud problems we do. You've got me thinking, maybe I should build a couple and try to sell at the feed store. Like Kay said I've also used them for erosion control. Most of my ditches require pinning them down so they don't wash away.
0 Kudos
Contributor

I believe (think)  Iowa farmers can burn two a day (legally) so you may want to check that out.......or bring 'em up here and we'll help you out.  If I'm wrong, hopefully no one from Iowa DNR reads your posts 🙂

0 Kudos
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

Not interested in burning, I don't consider myself an environmentalist but I'm not an environmental heeven either.
0 Kudos
Husker-J
Senior Contributor

In Nebraska, we pay a 'tire tax' which pays for used tire pickup and recycling.  Does Kansas do anything like that?

I know in the next week or two, the tire recyclers will be coming around here, and they take any kind of used tire, no charge, as long as it is a bare tire, no rim on it, or anything like that.   Here is an overview of the system:

http://www.deq.state.ne.us/IWM.nsf/Pages/STMP

In the above website, they post a link to approved places where people can take their used tires for disposal.   I have no idea if someone from Kansas can take tires to Nebraska, but if you are not far from the border, maybe you could contact one if it is close to you.

Do you have cattle, or know anyone that does?

Lots of people, have the tires turned 'inside out', and use them for feed bunks.   While they don't hold as much hay, as say a bale feeder, or hay rack, they have no sharp edges, and flex, so cows (or more likely bulls) do not get injured fighting for feed.   Here are a couple pics of what they look like after being turned.

tire feed bunks | no-reserve auction on Wednesday, May 2, 2012 |

Rubber Tire Bale Feeders, Silage Feeders, Feed Bunks - Wenzel ...

We have found, that for our own uses, if we make the bales a bit 'small' like maybe 4 1/2 feet tall, they fit in a larger tire feed bunk, and really don't seem to waste more feed than in a standard bale feeder.   (they fit better than the one in the picture, the bale is smaller, and my tire bunks are wider)  I think an 18.4-38 is on the smaller end of using them for a bale feeder, a 20 inch or wider tire is better, as is an 18.4 - 42, as there is a little extra space around the bale, to catch hay the cows pull from the bale so it doesn't fall on the ground.  Around here, they are not hard to give away, as someone always seems to have use for a couple bunks.  You can see more at www.turnedtires.com 

0 Kudos
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

Thanks for the info Husker-J and yes, I've already got about 20 or 25 tires turned inside out for feed bunks. I've got radial tires I need to dispose of and their sidewalls aren't stiff enough to make a decent feed bunk. Feed bunks need to be from biased ply tires. I'm smack dab located in Central Kansas so not really close to the Neb border. I'll make some calls next week and see if I can get the ball rolling on this project. If I can get rid of them by winter time, I'll consider it a success. Some of them have only been laying there for about 20 or 25 years. Nothing like inheriting another ones headaches.

Very interesting program Nebraska has going, I'll check with the state of Kansas to see if they've got something similar.
0 Kudos