cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Useless College Majors

Thought there might be some  interest in knowing what these people fell is a bad choice for a college major.

3 of the 5 are agriculture courses.

I can understand Fashion Design and Theater but Agriculture?

I guess if you are just looking for a paycheque...............

http://education.yahoo.net/articles/most_useless_degrees.htm?kid=1KWNU

0 Kudos
32 Replies
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Re: Useless College Majors

sad commentary on education and ambition.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

I would have thought Art History would have made the list,

or music theropy (yes, it is a college major)

or interperetive dance,

or latin,

or, my favorite, the Philosphy of Star Trek (maybe not a major, but is actually a college course.  Here is a snippet about it, from the actual Georgetown U website).  http://courses.georgetown.edu/index.cfm?Action=View&CourseID=PHIL-180

Star Trek is very philosophical. What better way, then, to do philosophy, but to watch Star Trek, read philosophy and hash it all out in class (and on Blackboard)? That’s the plan. This course will center on topics in metaphysics that come up again and again in Star Trek. In conjunction with watching Star Trek, we will read excerpts from the writings of great philosophers, extract key concepts and arguments and then analyze those arguments. Questions we will wrestle with include: I. Is time travel possible? Could you go back and kill your grandmother  -snip-

..I can see it now, a bunch of students having a heated discussion about killing you own grandmother...
If you go back in time, and kill her, you would never have existed, and if you never existed, you wouldn't be around to kill her.  However, if you could go back in time, why couldn't you kill her?

Sounds pretty deep, well deep something anyway...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Psychology,---------------------we must have cranked out 500 of those per job over the years.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

A degree in social work which allows you to starve to death while trying to save children.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

I'm of the opinion that pretty much any college degree can be useless.  I have a degree in Logistics Management, but I couldn't find a job that wanted to pay me more than $30,000 a year around here and I already had a job during college that payed me over $35k.  Thus, I am giving up the city and moving back to the farm for 2012, time to get back where I've wanted to be.

As far as Yahoo saying that agriculture degrees are useless, I think that its a pretty sad commentary on how the public in general views the production of food.  They would rather let it get into a "few" hands and go along with the "get big or get out" scheme that's been going on for quite some time.  Like the others I think that there are plenty of other degrees that I would list as useless before I would list growing food.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

IMHO this should have been titled "overmanned degree fields' or something to that extent.  All the talk is about how many degrees are being earned compared to jobs available.  There really isn't talk supporting why the degree is worthless, dancing, ok that is a no brainer!

As for Star Trek, what happens if you go back in time and get your Grandmother PREGNANT, not that is a discussion for some young college kids to ponder!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

"logistics and management" really does sound like the perfect major for a farmer. really. I have a daughter with a major and a brother with a minor in philosophy. Both had no problem finding jobs. I wonder how nietzsche would interpret that???

0 Kudos
Highlighted

That may be someone's opinion but I don't think it is backed up by placement stats, at least as far as the major MW landgrants are concerned.

It is true that a lot of ag majors would have a hard time convincing an employer of their relevance in other fields. In some cases it is a matter of predjudice, in others it is their own fault. I recall a lot of people in ag school who would take every ag course they could but were wouldn't take a non-ag elective if they could possibly avoid it and tended to do poorly in what they had to take.

There is something to be said for the theory that you should major in what you like but also some in the notion that the purpose of college is to give you a full education.

I know a number of english majors who have been very successful. The common denominator is that they had good academic records and are obviously smart.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

@tree fmr wrote:

IMHO this should have been titled "overmanned degree fields' or something to that extent.  All the talk is about how many degrees are being earned compared to jobs available.  There really isn't talk supporting why the degree is worthless, dancing, ok that is a no brainer!

As for Star Trek, what happens if you go back in time and get your Grandmother PREGNANT, not that is a discussion for some young college kids to ponder!!

That's the plot of a movie I once saw, while up late at night with the kids.  Called 'Time Rider' or something like that.

0 Kudos