cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Re: Useless College Majors

I once helped a college professor change a tire, who was not at all shy about sharing the fact that he was a college professor, with a PHD in Mechanical Engineering, and taught at some University or another for over 20 years, bla, bla, bla (really, he wouldn't shut up about how 'educated' he was, and how 'smart' he was).  He claimed that he couldn't change the tire by himself because he put his energy into developing his brain, and not his body, so couldn't bust the lugs loose on his car that some gorilla in the tire shop tightened.  It was REALLY, REALLY hard to just quietly change his tire, and not tell him the reason he couldn't get the lugs off, was because he didn't know  'Righty-Tighty, Lefty-Loosey'.  The reason I stopped in the first place, was I noticed he was pulling on the wrench the wrong way, and in such a manner that if it were to slip, he'd bash his knuckles into the pavement.

Just an experience I had, take it for what it's worth.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

I am a firm proponent of promoting each person's strengths, rather than trying to fit square pegs into round holes.  If you want to know what's reallhy wrong with American Education todua, it is precisely that. 

Our middle child/older daughter has got the best brain of literal horse sense of anyone alive, I think.  I could have run a fool's errand of trying to force her to complete a college degree she didn't want or need.  Instead, I have tried to support her dreams and help her translate them into plans and goals. She tells me she loves her life, so maybe not such a bad parenting decision. huh?  

Our oldest/only son is a small homebuilding contractor.  Hard times to be in that occupation, but he's eeking out a decent income.  He got tech training at a community college, and apprenticed to some of the best general contractors in his area.  He stays beneath the level of competing with the big fish, and as a one-man operation, can handle repairs and smaller remodeling projects, without a lot of risk.  He is developing a set of satisfied customers who call him back again and again, so i think he will be okay. 

The youngest/younger daughter has a six-figure college degree.  She did earn some scholarships for merit in high school, but we paid the lion's share.  She has a decent job with benefits, not at all related to her field of study.  Was her education "wasted"?  I don't know, since she hasn't lived her whole life yet.  Only time will tell. 

When our first grandchild was born in November, I started a 529 college savings plan for him for Christmas.  My plan is to save at least enough for two years of technical training or an associate's degree.  I know one of SIL's relatives, who holds his Ph.D. and has no children of his own, is saving in his name, too. 

Between us, I think he will have a fair chance of having a full ride ready when he is, whatever he wants to learn to do.  Meanwhile, he will be having the country kid's school of everyday experiences...so, I'd say has a good possibility of developing his own store of common sense, too. 

Stone soup was all about everyone putting together resources in a way that no one of them could manage alone.  It was a lot about the whiole being greater than the sum of many parts.  It took an outside instigator to fool the village people into pulling together to help themselves. 

Sputnik drove our parents' generation in much the same way.  Perhaps in our complacency as a culture, we are missing our impetus to drive our own children's progress in similar fashion. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

You had me at "engineer". 

The only difference between an engineeer and God is this: God doesn't think he is an engineer. 

0 Kudos