cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Advisor

Re: Viewing habits?

I would mostly agree with Jim as well.  My reservation is with NPR.  I think they are overly focused on international news, though they do extremely indepth reporting that reveals more than what most media sources do, they limit their indepth coverage of American news.  For instance, there's not much indepth coverage on topics like how we spend our tax dollars on public welfare assistance programs and how people from various regions not only are affected by it but what they think about welfare programs from their perspective.  If it were a story about Botswana, they would be all over it.  Why is it not as important to cover that story here?  With agriculture, they talk to the organic folks and Michael Pollan, but rarely visit with regular farm folks like us.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Mike Dodge RAM came wiht a year of Sirius free of charge.  It was okay, but we drive that vehicle the least, so not worthj renewing the subscription.  The truck has a jammin' system, and he plays CDs in it mostly.  Classics like Zeppelin and some blues artists sound especially good in there. 

Seems that subscription radio has been a mostly spectacular failure, with XM going under or being eaten alive by Sirius.  I actually like the international news perspective of NPR.  I have always felt thatt our newscasts treated the rest of the world like those old maps that show areas too far away marked as "Here there be Dragons"....

When you get to state and local news, we live in an area totally ignored by the NC media.  Eastern VA does stories out fo our region, but not quite as far west as we live in it.  We are given local channels in satellite coverage for both, due to some court decision.  I like to watch cpverage of hurricanes from the east, and storms of other kinds, including tornados, generally from the west.. 

I love those old spiritual songs, Smokey. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

wife calls that the curse of the seventies.  Having to listen to the same music on the radio for 40 years.

Man there was a flood of music generated between 68 and 76.

Jim Thanks for the ideas.  Didn't realize I could set my computer to search from topical news stories and data.

A better way to use the search engines.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

Not saying those old songs are bad.  I like them too.  I also like some contemporary ones, though one must sift through a ton of stuff that wasn't thought through from a theological perspective.  One contemporary artists sings about spinning wheels in a song.  That's got nothing to do with Christian thought.  It's an Eastern thought.

Highlighted
Honored Advisor

I 'd have to hear the lyrics to say if it felt :Christian" to me.  The concept of "centeredness" is integral to most religions and philosophies.  I heard a lot about it in learning to both throw clay on a potter's wheel and spin wool. 

We also center ourselves in martial arts a lot, since center and balance are related, both phsyically and psychically.  Eastern thought and Christian thought aren't as different as they are alike, at least in some respects.  Where they differ, my personal beliefs tend to fall more on the Eastern side., even though I was reared as a Christian.   

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

I have had that "Where did they get THAT notion?" feeling many times, too.  Has taught me to accept a lot of what passes for news as not worth the time it took to tell it. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

We just ahd that identical conversation in the family a few days ago.

As you say, if it's about something you understand well or are involved in it's full of errors, but then you somehow believe the story about something else on the page across.

We had a reporter from an area paper out to look things over and do an interview after having some notable competitive acheivements at a high level and I had the nerve to ask him if I could look the text of his article over before he published it.  I got the most indignat response I'd ever recieved to any request in my life.  The article was OK, except for a couple of more complex matters that I had taken considerable care to explain as well as I could.  Got them completely turned around.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

Did you see teh bit on land prices on Rock Center a couple of weeks ago.  One guy said that some Iowa farms are absolutelyhuge...some as much as 600 acres.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor

I have the Dish Network and when browsing through the channels one evening, found two networks reporting on American news from their point of view.  Channel 265 - CCTV - Communist China's slant on our events, and channel 280 - RT - the Russian slant of our news events.  They will give you a completely diffferent view than Fox or MSNBC - especially RT.  Many of their shows actually originate from their Washington, DC studios.  Then for the humorous side of world events, watch CSPAN when they are broadcasting British Parliment Q & A sessions with their Prime Minister.  There are no American politicians who can come up with answers quick enough for the variety of questions asked there.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

bigbob,

Those brits do like to be theatrical mud slinging, and its a nice change from our fake dignity.

thanks for the others------Iwill give em a try.

Bruce,

I seem to go the other way.  When I see a report that is so-------unresearched or mixed up.-------maybe just created and false.

I start to doubt everything i get from that source.

My son is in the media business---------says research costs money --------and for now they are just concerned with attracting the viewers.  He used this weekends Newt , ex interview, debate , sc vote as an example.   

Point was media did not care if it was factual, if they looked embarassing, or if they affected the outcome of the vote.  It was a great tv theatrical moment with lots of viewers and They are getting a lot of hits on their website.  It's an election year and they had more viewers than usual.

0 Kudos