cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

New as entertainment

I think you have it exactly right.  So often, the news shows, especially the morning shows, are more entertainment than reporting.  They hype their own programming and treat it as if it were news.  As a result, news shows in general lose crediblity.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

Re: Viewing habits?

I like your photo caption of NEWT.  That's painfully funny.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

Re: New as entertainment

An ironic, yet sad commentary of our time.  You know, if we want entertainment, we only need look to Colbert or Stuart for that.  And sometimes, they've gotten it more right with their slightly, okay, radically irreverrent satire.

The sad thing about American news is they aren't even reporting much about the ongoing war in Somalia.  The Al Quiada is moving in there in a big way.  People are dying by the hundreds and sometimes more, each week.  I get this news from BBC.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

Good thoughts there.  Truth is truth regardless.  However, when it comes to composing a song that's allegedly "Christian" in theology, it had better reflect it correctly.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

I had a German Public Television crew come to my farm one time.  They said they weren't here with an "agenda" but wanted to show the EU audience of what farm life was like on a wheat farm.  Their filming practices takes something to get used to.  They stage much of what is shown.  I drove the combine up and down the road as they filmed it from different angles.  Harvest was already over, so they "improvised".  We filmed me inspecting wheat in the bin and looking at a sample.  This, though time consuming, was the easy part.

The interview took a nasty turn.  They came out with questions that indicated they were looking for one specific answer; theirs.  I responded with an appropriate answer.  Undeterred, they asked the question again.  I repeated my answer, adding facts to support my statement.  They weren't satisfied.  They repeated the question and their tone became accusatory in nature.  I responded with my same answer.  They tried another question that was an attempt to corner me in a box that would make me answer and affirm their rhetorical statement.  I repeated my answer and concluded, "that's all I have to say about it. Any other questions?" 

A "two hour" interview/filming meeting lasted over six hours.  The beef I have with their culture of the interview is they already have an answer formulated and are looking for someone to affirm it.  That's not American journalism, even though we think our journalistic qualities are seriously lacking.

As a contrast for this, I had an interview with the Squak Box people on CNBC.  They were a pleasant group, had great questions and couldn't be better with their respect for the interviewee.  Preparation time was early in the a.m., but the interview lasted only a half hour during the show, though my portion was actually less than twenty minutes.  A great experience.

I know who I'd rather grant an interview on the next go-round, hands down. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

You are right.  Ours generally doesn't work that way.  They come in clean and sometimes get it and sometimes don't.

You say:

"The beef I have with their culture of the interview is they already have an answer formulated and are looking for someone to affirm it."

That would actually be a better description of externally funded agricutural reasearch at our Land Grant institutions.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Re: Bingo bruce.

So true 

And a lot of the reasons our universities run so far behind on innovative farming technology.

I agree with that statement completely.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

thanks smokey

Didnt want to include the newt joke but my writer son had it and it is one of those that grab ya.  I had the same reaction.  Family values is the horse everyone has been riding against him.

I can't remember a moment when I've seen a politician hit that big a home run.  

Probably compares to the goldwater missile commercial that turned his presidential campaign the other way.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Interesting insights.

I work for a small town (pop. 1,213) newspaper owned by my son. My husband, a farmer and proof reader/stats person for sports told me to read your article. I'm proud to be an American after reading your article.

Our newspaper focuses on local news, with larger towns providing the state and federal news. Having been a part of the community for 30 years before being the "newspaper people," I interview many friends. They often say "you know what I'm saying, I'll trust you to make me sound intelligent." We try to be non-biased and open to all sides of the issue (our town once recalled a mayor!) but I leave most of that up to my son and I concentrate on the people news. Still there are some businesses that send us advertisements for their business (dealt with one from the local nursing home tonight) that we have to smooth over and try to get a story out of. Sometimes it is tough.

Enjoyed your insights and will be mindful of them.

0 Kudos