cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Advisor

War call?

Watching the news right now is sort of a nail-biter.  Looks like we will be involved in Libya...mostly as a naval/naval air exercise, at least in the near term. 

Gaddafy has wanted to taste American blood for a long time, and I feared that once the unrest in the Middle East spread to his turf - and it HAD to, and you knew how he was going to react when it did, given his history - he would not back down from the opportunity. 

I gather that our rationale for involvement in Libya is that its dictatorial leader is killing his own...but slaughter of innocents in Africa has gone on for decades, at high profile.  We and the rest of the First World  turned a blind eye, and kept right on buying blood diamonds. 

Some of you guys have been active military in your salad days of youth.  Just wondered this morning what your take is on the stance our President is taking on what are so far internal problems in a sovereign nation.   Were we just looking for an excuse?  Do we belong there or not?

0 Kudos
35 Replies
Contributor

Re: War call?

Good morning Kay/NC!      I will first start off by saying that i have not been in the military myself, but i do have quit afew relatives whom are in the navy, and marines as we speak.   I do agree with you and wonder myself "what makes this different then any of the other African countries whom have been killing there own people for years".    The only answer that i come up with is that Lybia is a oil producing country and we are very dependent on oil.   And the other countries do not produce energy that our economy is dependent on, so we turn a blind eye to them.   It is a horrible thing to do but it is a fact of life.

DO i think that we need to or have a right to go in and fight?  That is a really hard question.  Personally i say no, let them or the united nations go in a figure it out.  We need to quit being the worlds big brother, especially since we are already still fighting non stop in afganistan.   But if the rebels start begging us to come in and help them out ( i have not heard that they are even asking)  we really can not turn our head and ignor them. 

I do think that what our President is doing is the right thing for now.  We are getting a few of our ships and parking them off the coast of there country to simply show that we are watching and will help them if needed.  Flexing our muscel so to speak in hopes that he backs down..  But i do hear ya in that this is what Moammar  wants.  Time will tell i guess..   all we can do is watch.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Was in military, we need to keep our behinds out of this.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

You two guys get where my mind is headed on this one.  I cannot see our reason, compared to others in the region, for an entanglement. 

This is the imperialist infidel stuff that gives the mullahs fodder for their masses.  Who are we to say?

Also, this guy is crackers enough to do just about anything to just about anyone...and did Libya ever gain a nuclear arsenal?

What would we do if he sent someone to sit in Cuba, and "flex his muscle" at us?  Oh, I remember...we'd pile our kids onto their schoolbuses, and drive them out into the middle of nowhere, as was done with us when the Soviets did just that....  Like that would have saved us....

I know this is not a Farm Business topic, directly, but everything that happens affects ag, eventually.  Right now, I figure it's why our diesel bill is spiking. 

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Kay---did you see former gov Roemer on morning Jo yesterday--can't believe we still have some common $cents$ ---might be just normal BS guess we will see--see our pres. caved into Mex pres on trucker issue---this will exacerbates this drug issue and fling the border caos into another step up----like previously said hope they like putting a US working citizen in harms way for the bottom line on a wall street balance sheet  ?? 

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I think the points have been well made in these posts that there is no place for outside intervention.

Canada also has some presence going or already in the area.

The question should be if we intervene in Libya or even park our war machine there to 'protect' them. Why are we not also present in Ivory Coast or Congo unrest?

0 Kudos
Advisor

Precisely my question...and evidently, Libyan oil to China is a large part of the answer. 

0 Kudos
Advisor

Missed it, sorry!  Mike says he thinks it was Pat Buchanan on "Joe" toady, asking why we rare there?  Answer: protecting the oil supply to China. 

If we are so in debt to them, I guess they can send our military on missions in their interest.   Not so much why we are getting involved, but why not staying out of it?!?! 

Our dog, their fight?

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Big oil has been the reason for many of the recent wars. I doubt this country's heart is in the right place on this one but rather looking at the oil side of things. A few good airstrikes by our airforce could end this thing, but we need to keep ground troops out of that hell hole. We need to remember lessons learned in Somalia before going into Libya.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Canuck---maybe you have heard some comments up your way as to why they don't refine the tar sands up your way or at least in North Dakota instead of sending it to the BIG hats in Texas--one thing the politicians are forgetting is the availability  info we are using right here !

0 Kudos