cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Re: my stomach turns over

Canuck you are right, Afghanistan did not start the war. We are fighting Taliban and alqueda fighters that call Afghanistan home. When I went over years ago we had troops from my division not only deploying to Afghanistan, but Iraq and parts of Africa as well, some Marines even got sent into the Philippines to search for terrorist. I have a picture of me with the terrorist training camp in the background that the 9/11 hijackers originally trained at in Afghanistan. We helped bring humanitarian aid to a lot of friendly Afghan villages and hunted Taliban when we could. I personally only shot at somebody when they had shot at me first. My question to you, when the United States got bombed at Pearl Harbor what should the response have been? If Roosevelt would have said "OK Japanese stop it, you are hurting innocent people don't do it again" Roosevelt would have been run out of town. No matter who the president, I don't think he could have kept this country from getting a little pay back for 3,000 innocent lives in a single day..... Do you?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: my stomach turns over Blacksandfarmer

I've read your post and found them very well written. i can tell you are ex militray, I was a LRRP in Vietnam what branch were you in.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

I was in the Army. LRRP if I remember right is long range recon? My hats off to you if you had to do that in Vietnam. Vietnam was one of our tougher wars and yes I do call it a war.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor

Re: War call?

Hasn't anyone seen the Movie:  Charlie Wilson's War, or read the book?

I suggest that you all do and be sure to note the concluding statements and also the "extra's"

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

The problem with making any kind of half intelligent statement this war is the fact that there is so much going on behind the scenes we know nothing about.   Much of it may not come out for years, some never.   I never could figure out anti-war Obama having such an interest in Afghn.  What did he know way back during the campaign in '08 we didn't?  Hopefully the ruling class knows what they are doing.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

From some source - cannot remember whcih one- I have gathered that Afghanistan has some of the richest mineral deposts on Earth.  Access to this asset may prove priceless. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Blood minerals 1st---- diamonds 2nd---or black gold 2nd---Canada probably has a ace in the hole with petroleum and the most priceless of all "H2O" -the most valuable and the most trampled on resource ! !

0 Kudos

In the scheme of things Libya probably isn't a huge deal in and of itself.

The gem is Saudi Arabia and the issue what impact will US action/inaction have on the stability of the kingdom that protects our oil supply?

A real puzzler, on the one had the Saudis are the leading financiers of "terrorism",  on the other hand they've been very happy to take dollars for oil.

I see today that they've banned all demonstrations so I guess that's how they've chosen to play it.

I'm inclined to think that in regards to Libya, caution is the guiding principle. Probably want to be seen as supporting the popular uprising but probably don't want to be seen as overthrowing an Arab regime.

This administration, in particular, will get hammered on for anything they do but I'm thinking they're playing it about right.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

I have read - and believe it's true - that a lot of what appear to be territorial battles worldwide, and historiically, are actually water wars.  That trend is only going to get worse....

This  is one advantage North America has enjoyed, although there are spot shortages in areas that haev been allowed to develop past their carrying capacities.  NC has a prime example in the RDU Triangle, and sixteen central couties are in a firmal "capactity use area,' that has been mandated to lessen aquifer draw by a huge percentage within the next few years, while growing steadily all the time.    

It  always makes me nervous that they want to know how much water we use to farm every year. Farmers did not fare so well in tha p-ing match in California.  I am sure that fracking for naturla gas is going to complicate this issue of groundwater qulaity and contamination - thus available capacity of potable water - in many regions of the country (watch  "Gasland" if you get the chance.)

Not a pretty picture. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Long range recon patrol my friend,Does this still exists within the Airborne. My hats off to you for your service in Afghan. Its kind of the same war. That dang vietnam, when won every major engagement and still lost the war.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos