cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

We're all Chinese now....

Thought this might be of interest to some of you:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/05/29/shuanghui-idUSL3N0EA2HQ20130529?feedType=RSS&feedName=merg...

Open for discussion.  My first response to the guy who informed me of this this afternoon was that it raises national security issues. 

0 Kudos
35 Replies
Veteran Advisor

Re: We're all Chinese now....

"Yang" conversion chart in hand  ?

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Also the financial reports - very interesting ---

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

I'm not sure it is a national security issue.  But, from the Chinese point of view, they can't feed themselves so they would see it as a national security issue.

China is buying a lot of infrastructure and expertise which I would expect them to export to South America and Africa as soon as it proves economically feasible.  If many hog farm workers are immigrants, the Chinese may move the hog to the worker, if they can also grow corn.

I don't know what to think of the food safety issue.  I have no confidence in Chinese adherence to safety standards.

What will this do to markets?  Will Smithfield have to report in-house sales or transfers?  Will this serve to hide pork sales information?

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Well, some of you won`t want to hear this, but the chickens on "free trade" are coming home to roost.   I know it sounded good on paper 30 years ago, the theory being `we send our low but "living" wage jobs overseas and the 1 billion people in China will raise their income and buy a pound of bacon every morning.....OOOO Boy!!!$$$$$$$$$$`.

However, this deal with the devil to get a nickel more for our corn and sell more pork has turned into more people in the US on food stamps, more people unemployed and under-employed, more on welfare, more Democrat voters but that`s another story Smiley Wink

See, what we`re stuck with is people working 3 part-time jobs and still qualifying for government programs(I`m not for taking that government assistance away and starving them but we never had problems of this scale before free trade).  Basically we transfered the wealth of this nation, just so fat people with tattoos on their legs can buy $5 shirts at Walmart...it`s pretty obvious we got screwed.

China has to go somewhere with their `federal reseve notes` so it`s no surprise that the last colonial super power will try to buy up the 1st super power US.  They want pork that`s "Ractopamine free" and we being the smartest kids in the sandbox tell our customers to go pound sand.  In China`s case, they use their pocket change, buy our companies, then tell us to "pound sand".

Like the old joke: A lawyer dies and meets St Peter.  St Peter shows him Heaven which is nice but a little boring from what the attorney was used to.  So satan shows him around hell, there`s buxomy blondies serving drinks with little umbrellas, golfing, just everything he liked and was used to, so he tells St Peter, "No offense, Heaven is nice but I think I`d be better suited for hell".   So he`s send down to hell and it`s terrible flames and hot and miserable, so he asks satan "it was so nice the last time I was here what happened????"  Well satan says "Last time you were here, you were a recruit, now you are an associate!".   And that`s the way with free trade, for many years we were being recruited, now we are all "associates" or as Kay`s title says "Chinese".   If "it`s" inevitable, you might as well lay back and enjoy it. -T Boone Pickens

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

What kind of protectionist, government run market do you prefer?

0 Kudos

What's the diff

between a gang of self serving corporate officers/directors and the Chicoms?

We already made our deal with the devil, what's the big deal now?

Actually I may be a bit unfair to the Chinese, only because I really don't know that much about them, but it is certainly true that corporations are sociopathic by nature.

The only things stopping them from turning you and your family into soylent green (if margins are positive)  is the rule of law/regulation and full transparency (might be bad for business if it got out).

As far as the livestock business goes, farmers, consumers and packers were pretty well served for a hundred years by our federal inspection system, which came about primarily through the efforts of muckrakers to bring transparency to the matter- Upton Sinclair comes to mind foremost.

Oh wait a minute. Today Sinclair would be in jail under an ag gag law and his work would be suppressed by the courts. It would be threatening "jobs" and "family farms."

Honored Advisor

We should've allowed traffs to insure "fair" trade, the last 30 yrs this country has been taken to the cleaners. Just add up our trade DEFICITS and see it as it is, that was wealth leaving our country. Corporations got rich, but we have more people on the government dole than ever, that is YOUR tax dollars funding this windfall for a select few. Oh yes we get a nickel more for our corn so I suppose I should shut up and put on my rose color glasses, but that would be the case of a dog getting his tail cut off and a man eating the meat and the dog being happy getting to chew on the bone.

Senior Advisor

Well, tariffs are certainly protectionist.  Tariffs were one of the root causes of the Civil War - the South wanted them and the North did not. 

As I understand it, you would be happy if poor people from developing countries were not allowed to sell their cheap goods here so that we could buy expensive items we made.  I suppose then we'd have a TV industry, a clothing industry, etc. but we'd pay three times as much for the goods.

Well, I'm not going down this road because if you have an ideology no one is going to change it.

And we wonder why Southern farmers and the rest of the nation don't agree on ag policies.  They love target prices.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

Hello young lady.  Numerous and varied responses here and at the Marketing and Forum pages on this.  Thanks for starting it up on this one.

First thing that comes to mind for me when I've been in or conversations or observed conversations and commentary over this since the news came out is a former President of our great land:

No man should be allowed to be the President who does not understand hogs, or hasn’t been around a manure pile.

Harry S. Truman (1884-1972)

..................................................................................

The tail on this is going to be long and pack a monster whip.  Just saw on the news page that the hog $$$$ guru up at PeeYhew is saying it could be good for hog farmers.  Too bad we don't have some of those around anymore.