cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Advisor

Re: We're all Chinese now....

'm guessing I live about 5-7 miles from the closest one I know of.  Swine.  South of us about 15 miles, in Washington county, are quite a number of swine and turkey and some chicken buildings.  No big cattle feed lots areound here that I kinow of.  Some pretty good sized but not the CAFO size.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Try living acroos the road from them and then the not in my back yard will apply ---I'm sure Mr. Pope from smithog isn't with in a 1/4 mile of any cafo although is cashing in on the hopeful stockholder sale option ---

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

You seem to think I have a position in support of CAFOs.  I don't.  What I said was that activists would oppose them and from your post it seems that is the case.

0 Kudos
Advisor

Gotcha. Thanks.  What I thought, or hoped you meant.

Really good point you make that there would be all sorts of people who would think it was wonderful for all the neighbors to "have a few pastured pigs" but if somebody looked at putitng up a plant ot kill and process them the NIMBYS would come out of the woodwork.  And the regs they would face would be very likely be horribly innordinate to the modest scale of slaughter/production that  the plant might be propossing.

Good points.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

I support no actvist group although that is an easy cop out  --- 150ppm. niterates from a Nebraska DEQ mont. well - is that activsm?

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Interesting article in Bloomberg business about the financial goings on at smithog  --- 5 year re-tracement of their earnings is an eye opening along with bonus pay outs when the deal commences being the business climate now days --- 

0 Kudos
Highlighted

what we believe

and of course sometimes we don't know why without some introspection.

Hogs are actually fundamental to today's reigning free market philosphy. The Chicago school of economics is built off of the work of Shultz where he studied the hog cycle and corn/hog ratio to demonstrate how the miraculous free market functions and a boatload of Nobels and a dominant intellectual stature for a half century followed. A few thoughts on that, though.

First, and probably least, worth pointing out that Schultz was able to do his work because of the abundance of longitudinal data that was available through the efforts of the intrusive and activist guvmint.

Second and more importantly, the basic conditions of a free market that he described in hogs no longer exists- most notably absent is a large enough number of producers that each acts independently, in his/her own assumed self interest in order to guide the miraculous invisible hand of the marketplace without any single actor individually affecting the market.

There may be issues of transparency as well but I'm not well enough versed to tackel that.

So while most are willing to believe that since the hog business in it's current structure evolved out of those conditions that it too is a free market.  It isn't, and we're really not coming to terms, at all, with understanding what sort of a beast it really is and how it affects all of us going forward.

In that way, and I think only that way, hogs still stand as an outstanding device for uderstanding the state of market forces, just like in Schultz' time, but in a completely revolutionary way.

I'm not seeing exactly where in academia that work is going to come from- dont see where the funding comes from, don't see "chairs" of departments giving support to faculty who want to explore that line of reasoning, actually see lots of indignant farmers  and agribusinesses types threatening funding for state institutions if they, as a farmer Regent in Iowa said "aren't all on the same page with agriculture."

On the other hand, about things we have accepted and currently believe, it is worth noting that Schultz left Iowa State for Chicago after a firestorm of criticism about his "anti-dairy" support of margarine ("let the market decide"). And of course, the U of Chicago was created and fully funded by John D. Rockefeller.

History does have plenty of examples of the importance of patrons. A discussion for another time.

Veteran Advisor

Really amazing the business practices going on over there and if not for the underground press we would know nothing about their  " LOCKED  DOORS " policy at various  facilities --- 

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

WT - good post and on FOX news to boot ---remember when these outfits could do everything cheaper with the last " cheap " hogs we had was when they pulled the price plug on the midwest producers and now they could be  selling out to forign interests to plug the finanicial leaking ship --- the South Dakota governor said this was a great deal for US producers - where have we heard this before oh thats right all of this pricy dairy products we get from the  MEGA dairies ---

0 Kudos