cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

Weather websites

Had someone point out a pretty neat website to me yesterday...gives local wind speed and direction, forecasts for ten days, all sorts of weather almanac material.  Google the phrase "Google Weather Underground"  and you will get a "Wunderground" site, where you can enter your ZIP Code, and get the local info, based upon your nearest NOAA weather station. 

May be useful to you in planning your spraying or land applications of manure. 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Veteran Advisor

Re: Weather websites

If you go directly to the NOAA website, enter your zip code, and go to 'hourly charts', you can get a chart for your local area, that shows what the predicted wind speed, direction, temperature, and relative humidity is supposed to be, thoughout the day.

I joined a 'burn club', where we use prescribed fire, to burn off unwanted brush and cedar trees, and they require us to have the charts printed off before we start a fire.  I didn't even know NOAA did this, but some of the charts are very detailed.

0 Kudos
Advisor

Kay: Thanks for sharing this. Anyone else have a  favorite weather website?

Or maybe you have an idea for a weather service you would like to see offered here at Agriculture.com?

Thanks!

-- John

0 Kudos
Contributor

At the top of the home page for the weather underground, you can type in just about any city in the world, and get current conditions and forecasts.  I've used it to track South American weather.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

You are welcome, John.  The more we are encroached upon by non-farming neighbors, the more this sort of information is becoming a crucial poart of our documentation. 

I checked out the NOAA site that Nebrfarmer noted,a dn have it on the toolbar, too...but the Wunderground site (Google Weather Underground) was actually formatted better for Mike's needs in applying manure to some fields nearer houses. 

We now have a pretty decent idea, for a week or so out, which days the wind will be moving towards them, and when it won't.  We are adding wind direction to our land app recordkeeping, for our own good. 

I have taken the Wunderground to the favorites bar in the browser on both this laptop in the house, and the desktop in my office.  Now, Mike can open it in either place in seconds, withotu my guidance. 

I think they may have several mobile aps, but that is overkill for us...maybe better for some guys working on several sites at once, or moving from farm to farm in quick succession. 

As for a feature of SF, are you allowed to link to a site like the Wunderground one without any specific agreements?  It is excellent, for all of our needs. 

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

While someone who's a pilot, like Jim, might need more, it appears to me that this site has about anything a farmer needs to know.  Mike diddled around on the site today while I was gone, and found that there are also some "instant" station links at the bottom, and they yield realtime weather data from nearby locations, too. 

Amazing. 

0 Kudos