cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ECIN
Senior Advisor

What -- ARE--- GMO's ??

Morning all ! This past week - A neighbor and I headed North  about a hour to Alexandria IN for one of the Indiana Crop management tour stops . One of the speakers was Peter Goldsbrough on GMO's and plant pathology . and this how it started out - enjoy !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzEr23XJwFY

As far as me - and this is just Ken thinking out out here - All of the ag companies have dropped the ball as to educating the American public on - just what GMO's are - Even the bean - corn growers  association ! No wonder they ( the public )  believe  everything they her from Dr. Oz's - lol   What a shame - Huh ?? 

0 Kudos
28 Replies
sw363535
Honored Advisor

Re: What -- ARE--- GMO's ??

Education(actual knowledge gained) on the subject has been largely limited to ..... don't question what you are told...

Seriously ECIN,  The public can get a high school education just by showing up.  There isn't even a home economics course let alone 3 science requirements............ are so "entertained" by sports and games that most curiosity to learn is gone,  couple that with the huge increase in the expectation of government to take care of our problems.   And the advancement of women to feel great with being as stupid as men.  Hand them all a Big screen TV with 120 channels 24/7,  "smart" phone and a the internet for information storage......... and the human brain starts squeeking if it has to think about diner or anything other than me stuff.  Information storage is nearly unnecessary.   and don't you dare force a child to improve his reading skills.

No one has critical thinking skills (questioning what you hear or read)....and it is hard without a good basic education.

For as many patents and intillectual property issues as there are at major chemical companies, there has been a lot of information available........ even a wiki page is very informative....... No one has tried hard to hide the issue.  Companies have provided a lot of information to anyone interested in seed technology.  When I was in high school several someones got a Nobel prize for the interpretation of the genetic code and our biology class discussed it the week it happened, and read theories on the subject.  That was 57 years ago.  

The general public has got to have a desire to learn and decide on what is best for their families.  But we would rather believe in an infomercial.  We have been taught to be lemmings running from one protest to another playing with our I-phones and staring on social media..... The one thing that is precious in life is "Time"...... and we blow it off in many new technical ways........We have built our economy on it....

It won't change as long as the water heats up slowly.....

ncwinn54
Frequent Contributor

Speaking as a woman, I never WANTED to think "like a man". 

That aside, to me, a GMO means a species that has a gene introduced into it that could not be included by the means of hybridization.  In nature, most hybrids are sterile, like a mule, or at least self-limiting, as they will revert to the parent traits in succeeding generations. 

I think when we put a fish gene into a plant, it gets hinky to many people.  There's a GMO pig, that is immune to PRRS.  That's th good news...the bad news is, without that level of loss factored into markets, many hog farmers would be put out of business by the glut of animals that survive.  So, maybe it's good the public likely won't eat that meat....

0 Kudos
k-289
Esteemed Advisor

Seems  the  ''  millennials  are  informed  to  an  extreme  at  times ''''  although  it  wasn't  that  long  ago  '' us ''   20 century folks were led to believe '' we''' were  FEEDING  the  world - uhhh  maybe  not  so  fast  ---

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

Kay your right.  But you are mixing issues.... genetics are not wrecking the economics...

The ability to fight disease of cure cancer cannot be good for us and not good for a hog.  Production numbers are still a choice of man and if we over produce by choice that is the issue we have faced at least since the 1920's...... far before the technology in discussion.

Lets face it.  If over production is causing economic carnage in some producers of the world, other populations of the world still can't afford it.  That may be a different issue...

And I am afraid those who deny the science would have also denied penocillin for the same reason....... or immunization,,,, and currently they want to deny the use of antibiotics.......With that logic why not deny the same to the human population who have been overpopulating the world's resources...... a belief held by many who hate advancements....

disease is a really poor way to limit our desires, or impose limitations.  The logic just takes us somewhere I don't want to go.  It is so recessive.  Or as we know in the hog world...... a little too much inbreeding.

It is like the logic of those who want meat without antibiotics,  so they have no problem eating meat that died cronic or infected.  Or their ok with the expense of that much death loss.. or they have a great desire to raising their dinner in their own back yards because they can't get me to do that to a set of animals.

Anyway there are a lot of examples of displaced logic these days we are in many instances heading down the slipperslide butt first.

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

I read these two articles on BBC news this evening....

They both address new and interesting technological issue that have the potential to affect agriculture in exciting ways.

I think it is a big mistake for the US not to be in the lead scientifically in the future.  The future is coming whether we are leading it or not.  And the sale of Monsanto and Syngenta is telling us something...   All we can hope for now is that the foreign company will be kind enough to keep providing some jobs in the US, like Toyota who has two of the top three selling auto's in the US.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-38804802   ---Australian scientists use soybean oil to create graphene

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-38810073     --'Tuberculosis-resistant' cattle developed in China

These are very interesting,,,,, and telling.

0 Kudos
k-289
Esteemed Advisor

After reviewing the article it seems   ''some''    head way was achieved on the T B front  - with the statement of  ''  exposed to  TB  in normal conditions ''  leaving a HUGE  question of maybe - the graphene developments are very interesting ot say the least --- 

I  find it interesting the Asian investors willing to add  USA  holdings to their portfolio - seems '' SELL  the  Fact ''  still  holds some merit  --- 

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

Yes as in the US, the headline is usually the first misleading statement...  It is a bit overstated, but this is research we should be doing.

The point is in agriculture as in other scientific issues, when you step back and view us from a distance, we are marching and protesting(and demanding) with very little knowledge of the subject when it comes to scientific advancement.

Fields where we should be leading.  

The thing I dislike the most about foreign travel is the comfort level with the two class system. Like in Mexico, the haves and have nots.  Stuck in their position and the haves only find the havenots to be a bother...  Like border control, it means nothing to Mexico, those are the poor....  

In the US it is the "poorly educated" and "well educated".  And it gets worse faster as education gets more expensive and we hand out degrees in irrelevant subjects  or subjects that are have temporary or entertainment value.

0 Kudos
k-289
Esteemed Advisor

Enertainment  value  seems to  '' sparkle ''  in  the  land  grants itinerary '' top  25 ''  idealism of rankings only to find a misdeed of sorts bringing down the glass tower - with a burden of taxation on the locals left to shoulder ---

I'm thinking about starting a class offering a doctorate in used car marketing with a  sound science associate degree  -then  hoping to remarket it to an offshore investment group ---

My stong advice  - by the rumor - and of course sell the fact ---   

0 Kudos
ECIN
Senior Advisor

Sw :  
The point is in agriculture as in other scientific issues, when you step back and view us from a distance, we are marching and protesting(and demanding) with very little knowledge of the subject when it comes to scientific advancement

That was the point I was trying  to get across - But as you said - don't question what they are telling you - The problem is when so called experts are dishing out this info - From there own lack of education on the subject  - then why question it ?

0 Kudos