cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ECIN
Senior Advisor

Re: What -- ARE--- GMO's ??

There are interesting markets out there - thats for sure - The one thing I have noticed since GMO's have come out - is that some farmers have become lazy - lol -- plant it and then harvest it - I was from the old school of raising corn - that being I was raised on Non gmo - scout - scout , scout - but that has gone to the way side - till resent - but still lacks , in my book -  Some have become to dependent on there fert companies - Not saying they are giving out bad judgement - but it's always good to know for yourself what is happen'n' in your own fields - That comes from classes on bugs and diseases -

The other thing we have lost - to a point is to think outside the box ! That is just what the organic's and non gmo's are doing - go with what the public is willing to spend  the big bucks on - That is one reason for my change - NOT that it's going to be the cash cow - yet at least there -- MAY - be a opportunity to make more - even if there is most risk - can't be a female cat all your life - lol   We have hauled 20 + dollar organic beans this winter - I don't ask what they made - but they keep doing it so they must have figured out something - same for wheat and corn - corn looks like the easiest to me .

I for myself spend most of my time on production - to improve on what I do or try something else that will be better for the bottom line than spend time trying to figure out how to play the markets - which is a stacked deck most times - and not in my favor . I rather play a game that -- MAY - be in my favor . --  lol   But then again - Dad always said that when everybody go's right I go left - - AND I don't think he was saying that in a good way either -- lol

But thats what happen's when your a crossbred like me --- Half Kentuchian - Half German -- lmao

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

Lets move into that market and try to duplicate her success.  We will see how well she accepts her business model for the masses....  

but truely where is her breakeven??  And does her product test to be better than the mass produced Japaneese eggs in New Jersey?

In other words does she have a successful business model or is she riding a fad.

Bruce touches on a great point,  It all depends on what is meant by "makes a tidy living".  It is as varied as hair color in a wig shop.

And every definition is needed to make us all feel better..... 

I watched a guy on TV who was on that "Alone" show and won something surviving in Patagonia SA for a while.  Went home to his glorified living in the woods with two kids and wife, living in a small camper tent "off the grid", "in tune with nature", "keeping his footprint small", "training his girls to appreciate", etc etc etc.

We all need to feel better about the position we find ourselves in.  And I have mellowed a bit on the nitch issues. (except for the lies told to justify things---- that still riles me).  

But in this case the small producer needs to feel needed.  The wealthy need to feel like their doing something better and preserving something or helping someone when they eat.

The guy in the woods needs to feel like he is making good choices.

We all need to feel good about ourselves..........  Open drug laws might have been a better answer...  But lets play that game...  without demanding that everyone else is wrong.  Lets let them feel good as well.  

I do not want to go back to my childhood without indoor plumbing and with snake infested outhouses, although I was proud of my dad for making a home out of nearly nothing.  It might be where we are headed and hasn't it been wonderful to have rich folks out west and rich political media and politicians patting us on the back and telling us how wonderful it will be to get back to nature.

I bet the folks who own the robots will still live large...

0 Kudos
ncwinn54
Frequent Contributor

About a decade ago, I got into reading a set of books, mostly about c. 1900-1920, state of the art and technonlogy issues then.  We thought that as a species, we had it all figured out, and it only took a few events (like the great Galveston hurricane in "Isaac's Storm") and anomalies ( like the killer shark that came so far inland, no scientist of the day could explain it, in "Close to Shore), for me to conclude that we still have a lot to learn.

We know less than we need to know.  Much of the problem we have, which causes the need for GMOs, is too much reliance on not very diverse varieties of livestock and crops.  I am afraid we know even less about the microbiome of the body, and what constitutes a healthy human diet.  We are more micorbial and human, in terms of number of cells, and need to admit that most of our helathcare sstem is a sickness system. 

I am opting out as much as I can. 

k-289
Esteemed Advisor

NC  -  Interesting thoughts  ---  I  am  comfortable  with some  middle  ground  assements  on  each  side of  issue ---

REMEMBER  -  J. Q.PUBLIC  is  wrestling  with  a  ''  Medical  Industrial  Complex ''  nowA  days ---                     

0 Kudos
k-289
Esteemed Advisor

Lord  Harold Samuel  once stated  -  Location , Location , Location

As for  her  business model  & as far as a ''fad  or  fade''  it  seemed  she  had  figured  out  something  that  fit  the  bill of  the  Michelin  3 * eateries somewhere back east ---    

0 Kudos

Better informed, more rational article than most

0 Kudos
dnbriggs9
Senior Reader

Re: Better informed, more rational article than most

Bruce, I agree that this is one of the more rational articles on GMOs. However, the book author appears to blame trait providers for focusing on corn and soybean traits at the expense of improving direct consumption crops such as wheat and vegetables. That focus was driven by early consumer opposition to GMOs in direct consumed crops. Additionally, the GMO technology has only been able to deliver single gene trait resistance such as herbicide and insecticide resistance. With the exception of the apple discussed in the article and BTresistance in sweet corn, no traits have been accepted in fruits and vegetables.

Novartis (previous owner of Syngenta ag division) donated the technology for vitamin A GMO technology in rice (Golden Rice) to public entities with no royalty encumbrance. This technology would prevent blindness in millions of children in third world countries. No country has allowed it to come to market yet. GMO technology is available for cassava and other food sources in Africa, but it is blocked by the various governments because European countries threaten to withhold aid.

Ironically, the same folks who embrace global warming scientific data discount GMO scientific data. I guess it just depends which side of an emotional issue we are on. I happen to trust the global warming data and believe that GMOs are one of the tools to help mitigate some of the human impact.

0 Kudos

Thanks. I'm where you are on those.  

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

I could be there as well, I believe we have to trust the science....  But in the global warming "science" it appears mostly hypothetical and extremely untested.  Way too many assumptions based on much too small data samples.

And I struggle with "science" that seems to know the answers before the questions and testing are formulated.. 

We need to prove that widely promoted theorem.  There is proof that the artic has been thawed before.  Is there really proof that the phenomena is manmade or just theory.... Did human inhabitants do it the previous times?  Or  Is there proof that this is not a natural cycle earth has been through before? 

Conclusions in this Science are not very scientific.

It is like proving ...... "The sky is falling"

0 Kudos