cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JimMeade
Veteran Advisor

What If You Had No County Extension Agent?

Would you care?

I would.  I use them a lot.  First and foremost, to me, they are my alternative to commercial agents who are happy to tell you why you need just the thing they are selling but don't have a real long term interest in your farm's welfare.  I believe they have been a big help to me over the years.

The County Extension Agent is the Land Grant University's face to the farmer, the boots on the ground.  No County Extension Agent, no Land Grant University as far as I'm concerned.  

Wisconsin is having trouble finding the money to pay for them.  Shame on Wisconsin.  The inevitable result of this will be the farmers who see no loyalty of Wisconsin to them will feel no loyalty to Wisconsin.  That leaves the floor the sole possession of BASF, Dow, Syngenta and so forth.  Bad on you, Wisconsin extension.

If someone wants to get rid of ag bureucratici overhead they can gut FSA and NRCS - oh, but I don't use them, so I am surely prejudiced.  🙂

http://www.agupdate.com/agriview/news/business/agricultural-agent-shortage-creates-void/article_84f0...

0 Kudos
4 Replies
k-289
Esteemed Advisor

Re: What If You Had No County Extension Agent?

With  the  Governor  in  Madison  ''added  400 '' job positions to Dept.  Of  Administration,  and  cut  43 in Dept. of Natural  Resources ,  and  the  State Governmental  Budget  is  $2.8 Billion  higher,  the highest ever .

$$$$$   Shifting   -  NOT  Budget  Cutting ,  OLD  NEWS  from new  politicians  maybe ? ?  

0 Kudos
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

Would make zero difference to me.

Have no idea who ours is, man or woman,. I've lived in this county since 1966 and never stumbled across one, at least that I know of. 

I'm closer to the opinion it's a job no longer relevant or necessary.

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

I am with hobby on this one......... ours helps the 4H kids and serves as referee in the judging and livestock sale, and I go there to get the latest KSU Herbicide reference material.  Don't go to the fair much anymore.

I could order that from Manhattan or Topeka.

0 Kudos
k-289
Esteemed Advisor

Today's  news  on   Nebraska Legislature , increased  record  lobbyist  spending  &  lobbyists  ,  consonantly  elevated - - -

4  H   Kansas  Extension  Numbers 2016 - 70,749  - youth 

Wisconsin  4 H  Extension  Numbers  2017 - 115,795 - youth

Nebraska  4 H  Extension  Numbers  2017 -  135,175 - youth

Iowa  4  H  Extension  Numbers  2017 - @  100,000 -  youth 

0 Kudos